Chapter Nine

"Adriana, you need to get up and get my Nephew ready for school," Niecey said as she knocked on my door.

I picked up my phone and placed it back down on my table. "Niecey, it's 6:00 am. I do not have to be up for another forty-five minutes." I said, grabbing my pillow from underneath my head and placing it on top to block the beam of sun out of my face that was peeking through the cream curtains hanging at the picture window in my bedroom.

"Why do you get up so late?" She said, flopping down on the bed next to me, trying to grab the pillow off my head. "You should be excited. You know if I am messing with you this early, I have some juicy gossip that can't wait."

"You know what I am about to be excited about? I'm about to be excited about kicking your ass." I said hitting Niecey with the pillow off my head and tossing back the white goose down comforter off my body to get out of bed. "I also remember telling you not to bother me until I wake up," I said as I walked into my dressing area and plugged my curling iron in, so I could fix some out of place hairs.

"Yeah, you did! But I figured that since you stood me up last night, you should have gotten enough sleep."

I then walked to the bathroom and grabbed my toothbrush and toothpaste. "Okay, I can give you that. But I told you I would try. It wasn't definite." then I started to brush my teeth.

Niecey came over to take Little L to school for me. Today was the day of my dental appointment. I told Niecey that I was going to a job interview. I don't know why I told her that. It was just the first thing that came to mind when she asked me what I had to do so early in the morning. Like she would have known that I was having sex dreams about Terrence.

"So, do you know what you're wearing today? I mean I know it will be black, brown, blue, or gray; they're the only colors you own. You would think you worked in a funeral home or something. That shit is so depressing, not to mention boring."

"Damn, Niecey why are you always talking? Shit, can't you just for one minute shut the fuck up."

"Dang A, you are bitching more than usual."

"I know. I'm sorry, Niecey, I'm just nervous about today and what might happen. Now that was the truth. I'm just letting my nerves get the best of me." I walked over to my closet and pulled out my gray pantsuit with white pinstripes and my white shirt. It was a bad idea to tell her that I had an interview. I could have just thrown on a pair of jeans, a shirt, and a jacket.

"Girl, you know you don't have anything to worry about. You are intelligent. What firm are you interviewing at again?"

"You know what? I don't want to talk about that right now. Let's just change the subject, please." I started to feel a little guilty about lying to Niecey.

Niecey stood up from the bed, walked over to the chaise, flopped down on it, and said, "Good, now I can tell you what I came in here to tell you, " smacking her hands together as if she were a mad scientist. "Well, last night, I met the perfect man. Well, as good as perfect could get. His name is Anthony. I noticed him as soon as he walked into the club last night, which you would have seen for yourself if you would have come out last night as you promised."

"You know what I don't even feel like listening to you bash me for not coming out last night. I told you that I had to get myself together, and I wasn't sure if I was coming out. I said I would try to make it. but it was not a guarantee." I said, standing in the bathroom, looking in the mirror, and putting on my facial cream to cleanse my face.

"Well, I am saying that since I opened up the club, you have only been there once. If you would stop being cooped up in this house, wishing that Lamar would come back, you could see how much more there is out in the world. If you ask me, you can do way better than his no-good ass anyway."

"Okay, I also don't feel like talking about my husband, who gave me my son, and your nephew, whom you love very much. If not for him, he would not be here."

"True that! I can say that much about him. He did do something right." getting up out of the chair to walk over to the bathroom door.

"Alright, let's just get back to the subject of Mr. Right. As I said before, his name is Anthony, and he is F-I-N-E fine. I was working the bar, and he came over and ordered a drink. He wore a nicely tailored suit, and I asked him if he was coming from somewhere important. He said he was coming from work. He said that he passes the club every evening after work and just wanted to see how it was because it was always jumping. He introduced himself and told me he just opened an accounting firm. Oh, and did I mention that he was fine?"

"Yes, I think you did manage to get that in there somewhere."

Sucking her teeth, she said, "That was rhetorical smart ass. Anyway, we talked all night, I wanted him to meet you. But, of course, you didn't show up as usual."

"Come on, Niecey, with that shit. I told you what happened if you mention it again, then I'm going to make you wait downstairs for your nephew."

"Okay, okay, I won't mention it again," she said, throwing her hands up in the air, as a sign to say that she surrendered. "If there was anything that I liked about Lamar, it was that he calmed you down a lot."

"I'm sorry for snapping at you, but I am quite a nervous mess." I was going to see Terrence a man who had been giving me orgasms regularly. Who wouldn't be nervous to see someone who was once their friend? Now he is the man of their dreams, literally.

"Don't worry about it, A. You know that you are good at whatever you do, so you don't have to worry about it. Just look at it this way, my offer still stands. You can always come over and be in a partnership with me. I run the bar. Why do you run the business aspect of things." she said as she threw her arm around my shoulder for a sort of comfort.

"I told you, Nee I need to do this for myself. I need some type of independence. I let Lamar take that away from me. You did all the hard work. I would just be coming in and reaping the benefits after you put all your sweat and tears into it. I need to accomplish something for myself. I mean, don't get me wrong, getting pregnant with Lamar months before I graduated college and being able to stay home with him for these past almost nine years has been the highlight of my life. Now, I am here all alone in this empty house with nothing to do when he is in school. I mean if I divorce Lamar, I still will never need to work. I just want to do something for myself. I want my own money. Not child support or spousal support."

"I understand sis you do what you got to do to make yourself happy."

"Oh, yeah, thinking about it, how can Mr. Right be Mr. Right? Didn't you tell me when we went to the mall that you would abstain for at least six months? Can you explain to me how that is supposed to work if you found Mr. Right?"

"That's the point I am trying to get to. He's not my type at all. He's your type. He's your Mr. Right. That is why I gave him your number and told him to give you a call." She said, taking a step back so she could get out of hitting distance.

"You did what!" I said while slamming the curlers down on the stand. Please tell me that you are joking. Please tell me that you didn't make me out to be a desperate thirty-year-old with no life whose sister needs to find her a man cause she can't find one on her own? Get out!" I grabbed Niecey by her arm to escort her out of the room. "I need to get ready, and you just fucked up my day a little more. I'm already really nervous. Now I have to worry about this shit you pulled also. Thanks, Nee, for making this day a hell of a lot better for me. Really, thanks a whole lot. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have you meddling in my life." I closed my bedroom door behind Niecey and locked it so she couldn't get back in.

Niecey yelled through the closed door, "I love you, A. You're going to thank me for this, I promise."