Chapter Eighteen

It was Friday and I was in Little L's room making his bed. I was still baffled about Lamar and how he knew about my date with Anthony. I didn't see him or his car when we left out or when we pulled up. My phone rang, I pulled it out of my back pocket.

"How am I supposed to get any work done if I can't get you off my mind?"

"Well, Let's see. I don't know. I suggest you not work and come over here with me."

"As much as I would love that, I can't. I have a lot of work to do. If I don't get it finished now, I don't know the next time it will be till I see you again. I just wanted to hear your voice. I figured it would hold me over...for a while."

"Okay, I guess I'll let you off the hook then," I said as I smiled. "So when do you think I will be able to see you again?" I asked as I stretched out across Little Lamar's bed. It felt nice to think of anything or anyone else but Lamar and the stuff that he has put me through. I have to admit, I never thought that it was possible.

"Well, the way things look around here, it won't be until tomorrow."

"What am I supposed to do until then?" I said with a little disappointment.

"I don't know. Here's a suggestion, why don't you come and work with me, then we can see each other daily."

"Well, okay. I'll fill out an application. Do you think that the boss will hire me?"

"You're a beautiful, smart woman. I think that he's a sucker for women like you."

"Women like me, huh? So, how many of these women does he have working for him already?"

"None that could ever compare to you."

"Good save.," I said.

"So, what are you up to?

"Well, I have a meeting with my son's teacher, so I am going to meet up with her and then drop him off at his father's. When I get back, I will give you a call. Okay?"

"Okay."

It was hard dating a son because I did not want Lamar to meet Anthony until I knew he would be the man in my life. It was kind of funny thinking about someone else being in my life other than Lamar. When I dropped Little L off at his father's, he didn't even speak to me. He was acting as if I had done something wrong. I stopped past, Niecey's house to see if she wanted to do something. She wasn't home. So, I decided to have a day with myself. I went to get a manicure and pedicure, and a wax. I wanted to treat myself to some new undergarments. I wanted sexy, sheer, lacey. I got all that I liked. I needed some new things to make me feel sexy. After that, I went to get a fruit smoothie. It had been a while since I have really treated myself. When I pulled into my driveway, Anthony sat on my steps with takeout.

I opened my car door and stepped out. "What are you doing here? I thought that you couldn't make it until tomorrow." I said as I closed my door and walked to the trunk to get my bags out.

"I just wanted to surprise you," he said as he stood up. "Would you like for me to go?"

"You know I don't." I grabbed the bags from my trunk.

"Where have you been?" he asked as he looked at my bags. "My ass hurts." he said, "I've been sitting on these steps for the last two hours." He saw the lingerie bag and said, "No need to explain. Is that for me?" he asked as he went to grab the bags.

I pulled them back from him and said, "Ah, maybe." Then I walked up the steps to the house. "It's a secret."

"I don't like secrets," he said as he ran up after me.