Chapter Fifteen

The next morning, I woke, and I was still confused. How could this be my life right now? What was the universe trying to tell me? I did more sleeping than anything. It was 11 p.m. When I woke. I really slept the whole day away. I couldn't let my mind wander anymore. I had to get some answers. I knew that Lamar wouldn't be honest with me, so I went to the next best thing. I picked up my phone and started to dial.

"Hello," he said with a scratchy voice.

"I'm sorry, Terrence. Did I wake you?"
"Who is this?"

"This is Adriana. Did I wake you?"

He cleared his throat. "No. No, I was on my way though. Is everything okay?"

I just started crying, and then I said, "Why does your friend feel the need to stomp all over my heart?

He sighed in disgust and asked, "What did he do?"

I just cried. I couldn't say anything more. I laid my head on the chair arm and let it out.

"I'm on my way," he said, then hung up.

About ten minutes later, there was a knock at the door. I opened it and said, "I'm sorry."

He looked at me with my bloodshot eyes and shook his head and said, "Oh, A." he walked in and hugged me. "Come on let's go sit." he closed the door behind us.

We both sat down on the couch. I looked at him and said, "I would like to know everything about Lamar."

"Well, it's not much to tell." his face showed it all. He was lying and not very well.

"You know I know you better than you know yourself. I met another girlfriend. They have been going out for two years. Brionna is her name. Do you know her?"

"I don't think that you need to put yourself through this."

"I'm already going through it." I shook my head. I went to the school to tell Lamar that I was thinking about spending Thanksgiving with them and maybe going to marriage counseling. I met Brionna instead." I drew in a breath and let it out slowly. "I am such a fool. How could I not have known that he was cheating on me?"

"You're not a fool. You are just a woman in love."

"More like a fool in love." then I shook my head. I wiped my eyes and said, "The crazy thing about it, is these women were totally different than me. "Crystal had fake hair, nails, makeup caked on, a short skirt, loud and her English was horrible. Then this new one, ah, what's her name...? Brionna was not as bad, but her hair was cut close, and she smoked. These are things about women that he claimed turned him off. Now, to ask one to marry him, that is just..." then I started to cry. "Tell me, how could he do this to me?"

"Okay, listen, I will tell you this, and this is all I will say, they're not engaged."

"I don't understand?" He looked at me like I was speaking a different language. It didn't seem like he was going to budge. Terrence always got a little talkative when he had some alcohol in him. "I need a drink." I stood up and walked to where the alcohol was. I opened my bar, and then I yelled out. "Would you like something to drink?"

"Yeah. I'll have a beer."

I came back into the living room with two glasses and a bottle of wine. "Sorry, no beer. I have wine." I sat down and poured our glasses of wine. I took a sip of wine and sat back. "How have things been going with your hygienist?

"What do you mean by that?" he asked as he laughed.

"You know, she's on you. I think she loves you." I teased.