Chapter Thirty

That morning my day went as expected. I got Little L ready for school, and I went to work. Lamar called me around ten o'clock and asked if we could meet up for lunch, and I agreed, but I told him that it would have to be a late lunch because I had to show some new clients some homes during that time. He usually took his lunch. When I finally got time to meet Lamar, it was around one thirty.

"Hey, so where do you want to eat?" I asked him as he walked up to me.

"Awhh, I don't know, how about we just pick up something to eat and just walk and talk."

"Something like what?" I asked.

"I don't know you choose." he said as he placed his arm around my shoulders.

"Well, how about we compromise and have lunch outside of one of these many restaurants. I actually have done enough walking for today." I said as I moved his arm.

"Okay so where do you want to go?"

"I don't know somewhere with a great Shrimp Scampi." I said as I rubbed my stomach.

Once we decided on a place to eat, we were seated and ordered our food. I thought that it was time to get some questions answered. "So, why have you asked me to lunch today?" I said as I placed my elbow on the table and rested my chin in my hand.

"Like I said I wanted to make amends. I know it will take some time for you to forgive me, but I'm trying." he said as he held my other hand.

I looked down at my hand and said "Well we will see about that. I just don't know why the change of heart after a year of all the pain you put me through."

"Like I said I know it won't be easy, but I am trying. I am just trying to make it better before it is too late."

I took my hand from under his and said, "How do you know that it is not too late already?"

"I don't. I'm just hoping that it is not. And if it is then I'm hoping that we can be friends. If not for us, for Lamar."

"Okay, please tell me what is going on and why are you acting like this?"

"I told you that I am trying here."

"Okay I will go with it. But you must respect that I am dating someone. You know in a couple of weeks Little L will be spending a month with your parents when school is out for the summer. There will not be any excuse for you to just come by."

He wiped the sides of his mouth with his thumb and index finger,  then said, "I guess I can respect that."

"Well, you're going to have to if you want this friendship to work." I said as I looked over and saw the waitress with our food. "Looks like our food is coming."

The waitress placed the food on our table, and I could not wait to dig in. I was famished from skipping breakfast because I was rushing from my late night.

"So, since you're being all open and stuff do you think that you can answer a question for me honestly?"

"Yes." he said as he slid back in his chair.

"So why all the women? Why did you cheat?"

He humped his shoulders and shook his head, and said, "You asked this question all the time, I don't know. I honestly don't. I need to tell you this. I have been seeing a therapist because I need those answers for myself. I know that I love you. You are the best thing that has happened to me other than Little L of course. If I could take it back I would. I know you don't believe me, but I am serious." then he grabbed my hand again. "Please don't give up on me yet. Can you just tell me that you will at least think about it?"

"Okay, I will...think about it. I guess if you are willing to do this then the least that I could do is say I will consider it. If you are serious?"

Lamar and I had a nice time talking over lunch. He actually asked me about my work and how my life was going. We have never talked that way, not even when we first started dating. He always knew what I did because every step I made he wanted to know about. Now that I look back, he was a little controlling, and I was too blind to see.