Chapter Thirty-Seven

Around nine o'clock, my phone rang. I felt around the bed until I found it. "Hello," I answered, still half asleep.

"You are really pushing it!" A lady's voice said.

"What? Who...who is this?" I asked in an incoherent tone.

"You are really good at that coyness. You told, Terrence that I confronted you and you knew that he would break it off with me. So, I guess you got what you really wanted, huh?"

"Teresa?" I asked, still half asleep.

"I told you he's my man and I am not giving him up."

As I sat up in my bed. I asked, "What are you talking about now?" I needed some type of distraction in my life.

"I thought that you were a bigger woman than that. I didn't know that you were so hateful that you would tell Terrence about our conversation."

"Listen Teresa and after I tell you this, I do not want you calling my house again. I did not tell Terrence anything. I think instead of calling me you need to find your man and explain this to him. I have nothing to gain by telling your man anything."

"You get him."

"I do not have to play games to get your man or anyone else's man. If I wanted your man, I could have him. You might need to think about what you can do to keep your man, because obviously you're losing him. If you would like for me to tell you how to keep him just let me know?"

"You couldn't even keep your own husband." She said in this smart-ass tone. "You have no room to talk, you couldn't teach me anything."

She really hit low with that one, but she was right. " Hump, yeah maybe not, but I have seemed to keep your man interested and he keeps coming here even though he is with you. So, if you want to learn how to keep your man, then let me know?" Then I hung up.

I couldn't believe it. I actually got some sort of pleasure in making her feel bad.

About five minutes later, there was a knock on my door. I thought to myself, if this is this bitch coming up here with some more shit. I opened the door with fury.

"I came up to apologize for, Teresa. She just left my place." Terrence said.

"You don't have to do that. You did nothing wrong." I said with a big grin on my face. Happy about what or who should I say that I was looking at.

"I come bearing gifts." he said as he held up that beautiful box that I loved, oh, so much.

"Is that what I think it is?"

"Yes, I think that you deserve this after what you have been through. I also have another surprise for you. Now just sit down and relax and let me take you to your calm place." he said as he walked through the door.

"You always know what I need. What would I do without you?" I then walked over to the chair and sat down.

"That's what I am here for." he said as he opened the cabinet in the kitchen.

He had two bowls in his hand containing brownies and ice cream when he walked from the kitchen.

He handed me the bowl. "For you madam."

I reached out and grabbed it from him. "Thank you, you are a great friend."

"Any time." he said as he sat down beside me. "Now let me start off by apologizing for, Teresa."

"Why are you always apologizing for people? I told you, you don't have to do that." I said as I scooped up a chunk of brownie and ice cream in my mouth.

"I know, but I feel as though it is my fault. Teresa only came to your door because of me. I have been telling her for months that there is nothing going on between us. We have been friends for a lot of years and for her to tell you about the baby. That was just wrong, and I let her know that."

"She was upset. But, finding out about Lamar like that was a little fucked up."

"I don't understand how you can always look at the picture through other people's eyes. I don't know what to say to make this any better."

"Being here is saying enough." I blew out a breath. "How did you know that she told me about the baby?"

"Well, my crazy ass friend called me and asked me why did I tell you about the baby? Teresa and I had just gotten in from dinner, I turned to her and asked did she tell you about the baby, and she went off. I told her that her jealousy was just too much for me to handle and we needed to take a breather for a bit. Then that is when you got the call."

"Oh, yes, where I got blamed. Funny how that keeps happening." I shook my head and wiped the ice cream that fell on my chin off, and licked it off my finger.

"How can you have a friend like Lamar? I mean before I knew the real him...I knew why. Now, that I know what he has done to you, I can't understand."

"I have known Lamar since we were in sixth grade. He's always been a good friend. Lamar's parents had money and mine didn't. He was the child with money that landed him in the school we went to...I was the child with the brain that landed me in the school. He's always been the cool guy that had my back. He's always been a little spoiled prick. Honestly, I don't know how I would have made it through middle and high school without him. It wasn't a lot of children that looked like us. The ones that did look like us, didn't want anything to do with me. They were Lamar's friends, not mine. They all practically knew each other since preschool. His friends didn't want to be around me because of the lack of my parent's money. So, he ditched his friends and hung with me. He was the one who had everything, but he wanted to be where I lived. He was practically my parent's other child. That guy...that's the guy that I know. These past two years, I don't know that guy. It's like he has made one bad decision after the next, starting with that story about needing time apart."

His saying made me know that the man I had married wasn't so much of a lie. He was just a prick when it came to being faithful to his wife. "Well, it's too late to go back now. I don't think I could ever forgive him for having a baby with someone else. It's just too hard. Plus, he sabotaged my relationship." I blew out a deep breath and then said, "I just want one day where I can talk about anything other than your girlfriend and my husband and his women."

"I think that could be arranged." he said as he put the last of his brownie in his mouth.

"Good." I said as I smiled and looked down into my bowl.

"So, what would you like to talk about? We can talk about anything."

"Uh, let's talk about that second surprise you have for me?" I asked as I shoved another piece of that delicious brownie in my mouth.

"Well, it's a surprise. I can't tell you."

"Hmmm, can, I guess? Would you tell me if I guess correctly?"

"I don't think I will. I will only say this...it's something that you need."

"Well, lets see. I need for the last two years to not have happened. Uhhh, I need piece of mind. I need a vacation..." I put my eyes in the air and back down, "Hmp, I definitely need a vacation, but it wouldn't be that. It's too short of notice for that." I said as I laughed.

"I have an idea. Would you like to take a walk, clear our minds, breathe in some not so fresh city air?"

"Yeah, that sounds like a good plan." I placed my bowl on the living room table. "Let me change out of my night clothes."

"I'll be right here waiting." he said as he smiled.