Chapter Thirteen

It was Wednesday, and I had some time to think about what Lamar said the last time I saw him. He made a good argument, and the dozens of texts he sent me didn't hurt either. I decided to surprise Lamar and Little L at the school to let them know that I was coming for Thanksgiving, but just on Thursday. I was also going to let Lamar know that we could look for a marriage counselor after the holiday to try and get our family back together. I headed down the stairs and stopped at the mirror by the door to do a once-over. I felt like a schoolgirl all over again. When I pulled up to the school, Lamar was already there, about four cars in front of mine.

 I got out of the car on my way to his car and contemplated what I would say to him. When I got to the car, I ducked my head down and said. "Surprise!" If my brown skin could have turned red, I would have been as red as a mother fucking white girl that fell asleep for three hours in the sun. "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that this was someone else's car."

"Would that person be Lamar?"

My stomach dropped. "Yes, it would!" I stood up and shook my head because I knew what was coming next.

"You've got the right car, wrong person. Lamar went into the school to get his son." she then extended her hand and said, "Hi, I'm Brionna, Lamar's Fiancé."

By then, you know that I was going crazy. I couldn't believe that this shit was happening. All that I could think to say was, "Fiancé? I didn't know that he was involved with anyone. How long have the two of you been together?" I asked with this fake ass smile on my face. At this point, I didn't feel like crying or anything. The only thing that I was feeling was anger.

"Well, we've been seeing each other for about two years now."

All that shit he was talking about, him being sorry for what he has done. I looked down at her hand and said, "So, I don't see a ring."

"Well, actually, I don't have one right now because it was sort of a spur of the moment thing. You know how it is. I was ready to leave him because he didn't want to commit. When I started walking out of the door, he jumped in front of it and asked me to marry him." she clenched her chest where her heart was and said, "It was the most romantic thing that has ever happened to me."

The whole time she was running off at the mouth I was wondering what the fuck does Lamar do, go out with a sign attached to him; dumb bitches only need apply? Who in the hell offers information to a complete stranger? She is talking to me like I was an old friend or something. I always thought that he was the perfect man. She may have been digging the knife in my heart a little deeper, but I just needed to know what I didn't know about the man that I have spent a third of my life with, "I guess everyone's level of romance differs." I said in a smart way.

"Yes," she said with a dumb grin on her face.

"I thought that he was already married?" I figured she didn't know me. It's no way that she would have been offering that much info if she knew who I was.

"Oh yeah, do you know his wife?" she asked with an excited look on her face.

"Ah, yes, I do. She's never mentioned a divorce, though."

"Yeah, well, I heard that she took it hard. So, she might not want to talk about it at this moment," she said as she waved her hand around a bit. She reached in her purse and pulled a pack of cigarettes out. I couldn't believe Lamar was with someone who smoked. He claimed he hated it when women smoked, he thought it took away from their sex appeal and character. Then she was smoking in his precious car. "I kind of feel sorry for her. Lamar said that we couldn't get married so soon because it would kill her if she knew he was getting remarried."

"Oh really? Well, I don't know if Lamar told you this..." before I could say anything else, I heard Little L.

"Mommy." I walked around the car to the sidewalk as he ran over, then hugged me.

"Hey baby." I kissed him on the forehead. I couldn't stand to look at Lamar. I didn't want to make a scene in front of Little L, so I said, "Hey baby, Mommy thought that she'd come and surprise you and Dad by coming up here, and I think Mommy was the one who was surprised more than anyone."

Brionna opened the door to the car and got out. She looked at Lamar, and he looked at her and shook his head. "Brionna, get back in the car!" he shouted.

"Hi Ms. Brionna." Little L said as he waved his hand.

"Hey, Boo."

Everything in me wanted to cry. I couldn't believe this shit. "So, how do you know Ms. Brionna? I asked as I looked at Lamar.

"Ms. Brionna is Uncle Terrence's girlfriend. Daddy picks her up sometimes for Uncle Terrence."

Tears formed in my eyes and I did everything not to let one drop. I took in a deep breath and let it out. "Oh. Uncle Terrence's girlfriend." I grabbed him and pulled him close to me. "Well, you have a great time with Dad this week, and I will see you when you get home." I wanted to snatch him and tell him he wasn't going anymore. That wouldn't have been right, and he did nothing wrong. Then I wanted to tell him that I would drop him off to his grandparents, but I knew once I pulled off, I would have been an emotional wreck. I didn't want him to see me like that.

"Son, why don't you get in the car with Ms. Brionna while I talk with your mother." he opened the back door to the car and then started running after me. "Adriana wait up."

I kept on walking like I didn't hear him. He placed his hand on my shoulder, and I shrugged it off. "Please don't do this right now in front of our son. Or our son's school."

"Let me explain, please?"

"Explain what? How are you getting married?"

"I'm what?"

I stopped, looked at him, and said, "You know what! I can't hear another lie from your mouth right now. Now, I am walking to my car while my son sits in the car with your little bitch, because I don't want to ruin the holiday he has been super excited about." I said as I stood there with no emotion on my face, like a woman that had just gotten Botox. I opened my car door and got in. I started the car and said, "Can you please move?" I didn't know how much longer I could keep the tears from falling. I tilted my head back so the tears could roll back in, then I said, "Please...move."

Then I heard a voice say, "Hey, Adriana."

I put my head down. It was one of Lamar's school mates mother, Janice. "Hey, Janice," I said.

Then Lamar looked at her and said, "How are you doing?"

She smiled and said, "Great."

"That's good," he replied and then looked back down at me as he still had his hand on the top of my door, holding it open. "I can explain this."

"I don't want to cause a scene. Not where my child goes to school, and I am part of the PTA and other clubs. Just please don't embarrass me more than I have been already." I looked at him and tilted my head to the side as if to ask him what he was going to do.

He let go of the door, knocked on the window, and said, "I really can explain this. Can I call you later?"

I let down my car window and said, "You can do whatever you want, but I don't think that Adriana is taking any calls. Goodbye." I rolled my window back up and started pulling off so that he could move.

As soon as I hit the first red light, tears started flowing. So many things were going through my mind. I couldn't believe that I didn't know my husband at all. As soon as I got home, I went to my bedroom and repeated steps 1-4 of the Lamar broke my heart show, anger, crying, sleeping, and more crying.