Chapter Twelve

"Knock, Knock," my sister said as she entered my front door. "What's up?"

I was sitting on the couch in the living room, looking for work. "Nothing. What's up with you? Why are you out and about?" I asked as I closed my laptop and placed it on the table.

"Just leaving the bar I had to wait for the guy to come in and repair one of the toilets."

"Oh damn, what type of shitty ass people you got coming up in there," I said as I laughed.

"You are so corny. Ha, Ha. So, Anthony told me that he called you and left you a message, and you didn't return his phone call."

"Who?" I asked with a confused look on my face.

"Anthony, Mr. Right. You know who I am talking about, don't act dumb."

"Oh, Okay, I don't know if he called or not. I haven't checked my messages."

"Well, do you check your missed calls?"

I stood up and started walking back to the kitchen. "Actually, I am getting a little better at that."

Niecey followed "Ya think." she said as she rolled her eyes up in her head.

I opened up the cabinet to get a glass." Well if someone wanted to talk to me that bad then I figure that they will call back." I said as I opened the refrigerator to get some orange juice.

"He came in last night and said he called four times, and you didn't answer. So, I told him that you would call him at work."

"I'm not calling anyone at work, girl. What is wrong with you? Are you crazy?"

"It's his business. It's not like he can get fired."

"Okay, give me the number, and I will call him later." I put my hand out for her to hand me the number.

"Oh, no, I want you to call him right here right now. I don't want you to say you lost the number or something came up."

"Damn, Niecey, who do you think you are, the couple police. I said I will call him I promise."

"Please, A, do me this one favor and call him now. I don't ask you for much."

"Okay, give me the damn number. I'll call him now, but you are going to ask for him." I dialed the number, and then I gave her the phone. "Here it's ringing."

"Hello, may I please speak with Mr. Anthony Smith...uh, yes, can you tell him that it is, Adriana Stokes. Sure, I'll hold." then she handed me the phone. "It's him."

I put my fist up in the air and lipped to her that I was going to kick her ass. I snatched the phone from her hand. "Hello, Anthony."

"Hello, Adriana. You are a hard lady to get in contact with."

I have to admit his voice did sound very nice "I know I have been very busy lately. I'm sorry I didn't call I have to do a better job at checking my messages."

"That's okay. The important thing is that we are talking now."

"Yeah, I guess you have a point." it was awkward. I didn't know what to say.

"I was actually just on my way to a meeting."

"Oh, okay, well then, I guess I will talk with you later."

"Hold up a minute. I thought since I actually have you on the phone right now, you know giving my track record with getting you on the phone. Maybe we could set up a day to meet?"

Here we go. "Of course. Well, since I have been so hard to track down, you can pick the day and the place."

"How is the Saturday night after Thanksgiving? We can meet at your sister's bar."

"That sounds great." it really didn't at the time. What time?"

"Let's say around eight."

"Sounds good."

"Okay, see you then, but I hope to talk to you before then."

I looked over at Niecey and said, "I have a feeling that you will."

As soon as I hung up the phone, Niecey big mouth ass shouted. "One step into the world of realization."

"Shut up. I'm already in the world of realization. Just cause I don't want to meet men that my sister makes me look desperate to doesn't mean that I am off the radar."

"Whatever. So how did the job interview go? I meant to call earlier, but I was super busy."

Damn, I was hoping she had forgotten about that. I couldn't take telling her another lie. So, I tried to change the subject. "Did I tell you that Lamar wants Little L to stay with him during the Thanksgiving break?"

"Really, what did you say."

"Well, all I could say was yes. He asked me in front of Little L, and you know he was all up for going with Daddy."

"That dirty fucker. I know you were mad as all hell."

"Yeah, I was because I thought maybe he would sort of have some type of compassion, knowing this is my first Thanksgiving with us not being a family. I also agreed because we were supposed to have dinner with his parents this year, and they were looking forward to him coming this year since they moved.

"I guess you are Right. They haven't done anything wrong. They're actually very nice people I wish I could say that about their son."

"Niecey, Please. Plus, he extended the invite to me as well."

"Did he, oh okay, he wants you back? He started off with the little one so he could go for the big prize. So, what did you say?"

"I said, I will see."

"Do you think you are going to go?"

"No."

"Wow, A, I have to say you held out longer than I thought you would. I just knew that you were going to take your time apart," she said with air quotes. "a little harder than you have."

"Yeah, I know," I said, but she didn't know I didn't. She also didn't know about the cheating. I know she thought about it. She used to say a man only wants time apart if he is up to no good.

"Okay, so when does this vacation start?"

"Next Wednesday is Lamar's last day. So, I guess next Wednesday after school."

"Your first Thanksgiving without your son and your husband. I guess I can take a break from all the Lamar bashing." then she grabbed me around the neck, pulled me to her, and hugged me.

I hugged her back tightly. I guess some support was better than nothing. Plus, I had my good friend, Terrence, to talk to. "Thank you! I would really appreciate it."

"You know that I am here for you no matter what."

"Thanks, because I'm really going to need my sister to get through this lonely holiday."