Cinquanta

Henning
Rehearsal Dinner
4 months later

HenningRehearsal Dinner4 months later

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the day where I marry the love of my life. Some days I wonder how I got so lucky to be with a woman so loving, understanding and accepting. She's the embodiment of an angel sent from heaven to answer my prayers. I'd do anything for her to be happy.

Some days I think about how long I've known her. I think about all the times she's been my listening ear. I get a second chance at being the perfect husband and to someone so perfect. I haven't felt this happy in a very long time. Raina and Luce were the only people I was living for but now I have 3 more people to care about.

Adelaide, Emory and Jaziel.

"Daddy, you need to fix your tie and your hair is still up. I'm not letting you embarrass me out there." Raina said sassily with her hand on her hip.

I smile before walking over to my daughter. She looked as beautiful as ever. She had her hair up in a ponytail with a flowing dress. She fixed my tie before staring at me.

"Take your bonnet off." She said firmly. I laugh and take it off fixing my dreads.

I was nervous and the wedding wasn't until tomorrow. I took some deep breaths and sat down. Raina sat across from me with a worried look.

"You okay?" She asked with her hand on my back.

Raina means everything to me. I had her young and I didn't regret it even a little bit. Thinking back if I could change anything it would be the woman I procreated with. I was there as much as I could be but it still doesn't feel like enough.

"I'm so sorry for everything." Raina laughs lightly.

"I seem to hear that a lot lately. You didn't do anything wrong." She reassured me but I feel I should've been around her more.

"Daddy you were stuck getting out of an abusive and manipulative relationship. I'm not a baby no more. I got caught up in something that I needed to get myself out of." I stared at my daughter giving her the stankest face.

"Girl please. Your mother is fucking psychotic and took her anger out on you about a situation that happened in college. It's my fault." Raina shook her head at me.

Never in a million years would I have thought that Hale would stoop that low. Putting a man before your family, before your own child. I should've left after the first incident but she would've took Raina from me. Our marriage wasn't the same after that anyway.

I stayed with a woman who had rather been with another man than me. A woman who hated our daughter's guts over something she had no control over. A woman who loved a life that wasn't her own.

"Life is like a card game alright. You're dealt some cards that you gotta play right?" I nod at her analogy.

"But the other person has cards too. You don't know what cards they have to deal. It could be anything ranging from something for you or something for them." I nod slowly.