28

Hunter smiled at his outburst. "Yes, you did it, baby boy."

Costin giggled and covered his face, his giggle fit being muffled when Cassandra hugged him again. "You're the best nephew someone could ask for."

I smiled wider when his giggling got louder again. 'He's such a happy kid — I don't even think Isa was this happy at his age.'

Hunter moved over to the bed and ran a hand through Costin's hair. "Do you want him to stay here for a bit? Or would you rather spend the rest of the time catching up with [Y/N]? We can all wait-."

"No, it's fine," Cassandra promised as Costin's giggling settled down. "We need his happiness anyway. Well, tell me everything that's happened — starting with Isa running into a tree."

POV: Isa

One Day Ago

'Okay, obstacles are set up as well as targets... Time for a test run,' I took a deep breath, letting my body absorb the heat in the air. 'If I'm going to act like I'm trying to save someone, I need all the energy I can get.' Once flames began dancing on the backs of my hands and feet, I settled into position, ready to kick off the rock. I started my timer before letting the flames engulf me, kicking off the rock.

The wind whipped around me as I ran, and the first 'opponent' appeared. My hand pointed at the target and shot a fireball at it, my foot pushing off the ground to send me further. 'Next should be the axe,' I dropped to my knees and slid under the axe as it swung around. 'Dani would kill me if she knew this is what I was doing.' Once I was on my feet again, I rounded the corner of the castle and noticed the front door opening.

When my eyes shifted back to the course, I barely noticed the tripwire and managed to dodge the arrow from the crossbow I set up in the tree. 'Dammit. That was close,' I shot a glance at the branch it rested in before focusing on the course. 'SHIT-!' Intense pain shot through my body — starting in my head — before the world went dark.

Present

First Person POV

'So, I was a factor in their accident,' I frowned and dropped my gaze to my lap.

"Honestly, I don't even know who opened the door," Isa laughed. "But I guess it means I should account for outside interruptions while training. You'd think the war would've taught me that!"

"...It was me," I whispered, glancing over at their confused face. "I opened the door — I caused-."

"My reflexes not being what they used to is what caused it," Isa cut me off with a frown. "If this had been before the war ended, that wouldn't have happened. I just need to keep improving the obstacle course."

"Isa-."

"No one is getting taken again!" They growled, tail lashing from side to side and making Costin pout.

"Mama," Costin called, making them take a deep breath. "'alm down."

"...You're right, baby, I need to calm down."

"Mommy Dani! Mama hug!"

Daniela smiled before hugging Isa from behind. "You don't have to tell me twice."

'How are they not mad at me? I know they didn't hear what I said to Bela, but I still feel horrible about it. To think I could say those things about my own sibling...'

'Just because I was reincarnated, doesn't mean we lost our link,' My eyes widened as they locked with Isa's. 'I heard everything... I know you only said that because you were hurting, but take a look at my soul. Nothing has changed since then — other than what happened with my human family.'

'...How can you not hate me-?!'

'Whether it's my previous life, this one, or my next, I'll never hate my sister. I'll never hate you.'

'But-!'

'I'll tell Costin you're sad.'

I narrowed my eyes at their smirk before shifting my gaze to Costin — who was still glowing. 'You're stealing my job as Cass' personal heater, kid.' Costin tilted his head back to look at me, sending me a smile before motioning me closer. When I shifted close enough, he motioned for me to come closer — an indicator to lower my head for him. After I did, he kissed my cheek and giggled, making me smile at him.

'Okay, fine, you can keep the job for now,' I ruffled his hair before wrapping my arms around Cassandra, letting her lean against me. Bela cleared her throat and gently nudged Hunter, making the witch blush and show her hand — a ring nestled perfectly on her left ring finger. 'Oh! Bela, I didn't expect you to keep this decision a secret. You didn't even tell me!'

"Hey! I could've made that!" Isa exclaimed before pouting and grumbling. "I can make a better ring."

"Are you upset I didn't ask you to make the ring?" Bela laughed.

"Yes, I am!"

I giggled and whispered to Cassandra. "They're a big baby."

"Yeah," Cassandra giggled before kissing my cheek. "They also set up deadly obstacle courses around the castle, apparently."

"It's for training and doubles as protection! A win-win!" Isa huffed, making Daniela giggle and pinch their cheek.

"You're so adorable," She laughed. "Oh, speaking of 'adorable'... Mother! You and that maid!"

"Daniela," Came the warning from Lady Dimitrescu.

"Oh?!" I grinned, ignoring the lady's glare. "Is it Adina?"

"It is!"

Cassandra yawned but smiled at her mother. "Tell me the stories! What happened?!"

POV: Alcina

A Few Days Ago

"My lady?" Adina called while entering my room. "I have wine for you."

"Adina... would you drink with me?"

"P-pardon, my lady?"

"Have a drink with me," I smiled at the brunette. "Cassandra usually joins me around this time, but..."

"I-in that case, my lady, I'll join you," She spoke swiftly and smiled at me.

'You know what the secret ingredient is... Why did you agree? You're not like Isa — you're human. Isa lost their humanity years ago.'

As Adina stopped next to me, I motioned to the other chair. "Do you have feelings for anyone?"

Her heart skipped a beat before it started racing in her chest. "U-uhm... Well..."

"You can tell me."

Adina looked away from me before forcing a smile. "His name is Arlan."

'...Why do you lie to me?'