1

I took a deep breath and stepped away from her. "I'm the little girl from your memories... You painted me."

One Week Later

After a week of mulling things over, I decided to contact my parents. When they agreed on a time and date to visit, I asked for that day off — wishing to get as much information as possible. Cassandra had yet to speak to me as well, not that I minded. We both needed time to process the news.

I sighed as I flopped onto my bed, staring up at the ceiling as I waited for my parents to show up. When the sounds of wind blowing and the soft crackling of fire reached my ears, I sat up and sent the two a small smile. They returned the smile before sitting on either side of me, a soft sigh leaving my mother's lips.

"It's a long story, dear," She began, her gentle eyes full of sadness. "The same gift that was given to Cassandra and the others was given to you, but it didn't react the same way. It killed you for a moment. I guided you back — I couldn't let you stay dead."

"Why did it...?"

"When you were human," My father started, pulling my attention to him. "You were very sick. Cassandra was the only kid that didn't treat you differently."

"I don't get it... Why keep this from me? Don't you think I deserve to know I had a family before you?"

"We... Talked about that," My mother sighed and rubbed my back, helping ease my stress. "You went through a phase when you hated the thought of potentially being human — that carried on for years, so we figured telling you the truth would upset you."

"So... I'm the reason I never knew," I chuckled and leaned against her, sending my father a smile. "Thank you for letting me know. Will those memories ever come back?"

"Perhaps with time, but for now, just take things easy. Also, how have things been going? You rarely talk about work in your letters."

"All I do is clean! What's there to talk about?!"

"Cassandra," My mother giggled, causing me to shut up immediately. "I'm right, as always."

"...We're just friends."

"I remember saying the same about your father and me."

"Mom!"

We laughed and talked with each other for a few minutes before they had to leave. Once alone, I left my room and headed to the attic, stopping in front of the painting. Cassandra rarely painted outside of her room or the atelier, but she said her inspiration for that painting specifically came from the attic, so the attic was where she kept the painting.

Buzzing made its way over to me before Cassandra's swarm formed her body, a soft sigh leaving her before she pulled me in for a hug. I closed my eyes and melted into the hug, snaking my arms around her. We stayed like that for a few minutes until Cassandra pulled away, a small smile residing on her face as she spoke.

"How do you feel?"

"Still a little overwhelmed," I chuckled and glanced at the painting. "But I'm glad to know we were friends before."

"As am I," Cassandra whispered, moving a strand of hair behind my ear. "Do you want to help me make a birthday gift for my mother?"

"Of course! What would I be doing?"

"I'll need to paint in your room — I know you can paint, so all I ask is that you help me whenever you can."

"I'm nowhere near your—."

"Yes, you are," Cassandra laughed and grabbed my hand. "Now come with me."

I laughed as I followed her out of the attic and through the halls, our laughter quieting down once we reached my room. Cassandra opened the door and let me walk in first, shutting the door behind us. I moved a blank canvas to the easel and pulled up a chair, waiting for Cassandra to get settled.

When she grabbed the paintbrush, I shifted slightly and leaned on the back of her chair. As she painted, we discussed the memories Cassandra was able to recall — figuring out which ones I was also able to remember. There weren't many, but the ones that did exist and I could recall were often filled with laughter.

"[Y/N]!" A little girl called as she ran toward me, a smile spread across her face. "Ready?!"

"Cass," I pouted when she took my hand and began pulling me along. "Where are we going?!"

"The castle," She whispered with a grin.

"Mama says it's dangerous."

"They lie! She's nice!"

"But..."

"I promise! [Y/N], I said I'd always keep you safe, right?"

"Uh-huh."

"So trust me!"

"Okay," I beamed and followed her to the castle door. "Is she tall?"

"Mhm!"

The door opened and my jaw nearly dropped at the woman's height. She ushered us inside, muttering about how we'll catch a cold if we stay outside. Women rushed around — two of them placing blankets around our shoulders. We followed the woman to her couch, climbing up to sit next to her.

"Do your parents know you're here?"

"No," I whispered and clung to Cassandra.

"No ma'am," Cassandra pouted.

"Well, I'll get you two some hot chocolate, and then we'll get you home."

"Why are the adults mean to you?"

"...When you're older, you'll understand and probably treat me the same way," The lady said with a sad smile. "But I'll enjoy these memories — the memories of before you could understand why they hate me."

"Earth to [Y/N]," Cassandra's voice brought me out of my memories, making me smile at her.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought."

"No problem, I was just asking if you were hungry. It's your day off, which means you don't have to wait for lunch."

I hummed in thought before sending her a warm smile. "I'm good, but I will get you some blood."

"Actually..."

"Yes, my lady?"

"May I drink from you"

"Of course, my lady," I hummed with a smile before moving closer to her. "That's what friends are for."

"I'll try to be gentle."

—————
happy halloween!! enjoy the halloween upload/new story <3