6

"Mother knows about our feelings for each other."

My heart dropped at her words — causing a nervous buzzing to come out of Cassandra before she spoke again. "She uhm... Wants to speak with you. In private. She said she'll find you when she's ready to talk."

"Maybe... Maybe if I remind her of our past — how close we were and... And how we met her before..."

"It's worth a shot," Cassandra murmured before burying her face in my neck. "Stay with me a bit longer?"

"I'll stay as long as I can," I promised and let her lay me next to her. "And as long as you need me to."

I wasn't sure when we had fallen asleep, but when I opened my eyes, Cassandra was still asleep, and the sunlight that managed to peek through her curtains gave away that it was after midday. A knock at the door made me sit up and yawn — which woke the vampire next to me. Cassandra muttered something in Romanian before burying her face in the pillow I had been laying on.

The door opened slowly — shocking me when it didn't creak — to reveal a nervous Isa. I sent them a small smile, only to let it drop when they made their way over to me and I could see the fear in their hazel eyes. That was something they rarely showed in their past life — something they rarely felt.

"The lady wishes to speak with you. Now," They whispered and fidgeted with their ring. "And uhm... Don't get yourself killed, okay?"

"I promise I won't," I chuckled as I got out of the bed. "Oh, and Isa... Don't try to rush to remember your previous lives — let things fall into place."

"I guess I'm just..."

"Used to living like any second could be your last?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah, I guess that's another thing about you that hasn't changed."

"...Will I actually be able to remember my past life? I mean... If Zagreus doesn't want me to remember, surely he could make sure I don't, right?"

"He's our brother," I chuckled as I headed toward the door. "He wouldn't do that to you. Now, relax a little will ya? Let's talk more after I see the lady."

Isa gave a small nod before I left, beginning the walk to the lady's study. Once I was far enough away from Cassandra's room, I stopped and took a shaky inhale to try and ease my nerves. The lady was always a reasonable woman if she liked the person — which wouldn't be an issue for me.

I took a final deep breath before continuing, a quiet squeak leaving me when the door opened before I could touch the handle. The lady motioned me inside — making my anxiety spike at how calm she was about the whole ordeal. Once inside and seated, I watched and waited for the lady to take her seat, trying to ignore how her gaze felt like it was burning me.

"You have something to tell me. Go first."

I internally sighed at how observant she was. "Lady Cassandra painted a picture of a memory before her current life — when she was human. I was in the painting. We were best friends back then and-."

"Skip to the part you wish to tell me," Amusement danced in her eyes as she spoke. '...This is a test.'

"I was lucky enough to remember something as well — something involving you," Lady Dimitrescu's eyes widened for a split second before she motioned for me to continue. "She convinced me to come visit your castle — to see you. We did. You told us that one day, when we're older, we'd treat you the same way everyone else in the village did. That hasn't happened — and I never intend it to."

"This isn't the full story."

"...I-." I took a deep breath and sighed before continuing. "I've been in love with Cassandra for a long time now. I know Isa's death changed a lot, but I'm not mortal. I won't leave the way they did. And I'll make sure they never leave like that again either. If I have to prove-."

"I've heard enough," The lady hummed before a smile spread across her face. "One month. I will allow it for one month. After that, we will have another meeting like this."

My mouth opened and closed in an attempt to respond — only managing to make the lady laugh instead of any words coming out.

"Did you really think I forgot that? After everything you've done for me and my girls, I'd be crazy to deny you this chance — deny Cassandra of this chance — which is why I'm giving you a month. You proved my words wrong long ago, so of course, I'd make an exception to the rule."

"Thank you, my lady," I sighed in relief, sending her a small — but warm — smile. "I genuinely mean it. Does this mean I can stop calling her 'lady Cassandra' around you and her sisters?"

"You act as if we ever cared."

I let out a chuckle before bowing to her and leaving, unable to contain the smile that spread across my face once the door shut behind me. After a few seconds of gathering myself, I began my walk to Isa's room, knocking on the doorframe before leaning on it — effectively gathering their attention.

"I'm gonna go tell Cassandra the news I have, stay here and we'll talk once I'm done."

"Okay," They breathed out before turning their attention back to some type of metal in their hands. "Do you like jewelry?"

"...What are you doing with that and how did you get that?"

"Brought it from the Underworld. I can make you jewelry if you want. It doesn't have to be for you either."

"I'll... Get back to you on that," I laughed before leaving. "See you in a few."

I walked through the halls and bit back a giggle the closer I got to Cassandra's room. Once I stopped in front of her door, it was pulled open and Cassandra's eyes roamed over my form. She pulled me in for a hug after a split second, a relieved sigh falling from her lips.

"I have good news," I whispered against her neck, letting my smile widen. "Your mother is letting us date for a month."

"Just a month?" The sorrow in her voice made my heart hurt, making me tighten my hold on her.

"For now... I just have to prove myself a bit more. It won't be just a month, I'll make sure of it."

"So will I."

——————

hi all! as most of you know, i was sick for
2 weeks. turns out i have pancreatitis and it was aggravated to that extent because of how much work i was doing solo at my irl job (which is only going to get worse since we're now down to just 3 people on overnight). i'm going to continue looking for a new job since i really don't want to get sick like that again.

ANYGAYS;
Want to help me become a paid author? Here's how!

There are 10 chapters of my original story (A Maiden's Silent Love) on my professional account ( DIBIack ) !! Please go add it to your libraries, vote, and comment to help boost engagement/boost my chances for this contract. (The comments can be as simple as "I really like this book" lmao)

happy holidays everyone (i celebrate saturnalia so you don't have to wish me a merry christmas. i celebrate the uncolonized version) i love you all ❤️ you've all made these last nearly 2 years a lot better for me. i'll still be taking it slow with updates, but i know you all don't mind that. i will, however, try to post only fluff chapters/one shots until the holidays are over since i know how difficult the holidays are for our communities ❤️