7

I woke up the next morning to an empty, cold bed. I blink and stretch before I fully take note of the absence. A glance at the clock shows me it's 1pm and I spring up. I've missed most of the classes and I groan. Of course I did, I completely forgot to set my alarm last night for obvious reasons.

Why didn't either of them wake me up? I jump to the worst conclusions but hope for the best. I get out of bed and head to the room, taking a shower before getting dressed. Just as I'm finished up the door opens to reveal Madison. "Damn bitch where have you been?" She chuckles and I try to come up with an answer.

"Oh... I see. You were gettin pussyyy" she giggles. I make an expression that could only have been a mix of a grimace and smirk. "You don't have to tell me, I already know" she decides. I just go with it as she's not wrong but I can't really tell her much else. "What did I miss?" I ask, changing the subject.

"Nothing. We didn't even end up taking the test today" she says, taking out a cigarette and lighting it. I know it's not a big deal since I'm technically not even a student but I've been enjoying the little lessons. It's nostalgic and also tests my memory from my own school days.

"I'm gonna get something to eat" I voice and she nods distracted by her phone. I leave and head downstairs in search of food. I just make some tea instead, as I'm not very hungry and I head to the backyard. Taking a direct path to the swing under the big oak tree.

I sway gently back and forth so I don't spill my tea and I just think. Will it be awkward when I see them again? Where even are they? Just as I think that, I see them coming out the greenhouse. Laughing about something one of them said. Hands linked together as they head into the house. I watch them until they disappear and I sigh.

I don't think we'll ever be like that, I mean how would that even work? I've never actually seen a couple of more than two. I mean doesn't 'couple' literally mean two? I shake my thoughts away once again, trying to regain my composure. It'll be fine. I finish my tea but continue sitting as I'm still not sure I'm ready to see them.

"How do I always manage to get myself in crazy situations?" I ask myself aloud, answering myself with a shake of my head. I feel the presence of another energy approaching and I turn to see Delia and Tammy walking towards me. Why couldn't I feel them both? Do they have one combined?

"Don't tell me you're avoiding us" Delia jokes as she leans against the tree. Tammy smiles and sits next to me on the big swing. Her thigh brushes mine and I get this weird tingly feeling. It reminds me of the feeling she mentioned in the greenhouse. It feels oddly familiar and I realize it feels much like Cordelia's.

I guess Tammy felt me shiver since she looks at me confused. I stand up, trying not to make it look abrupt, and hold my cup with two hands. "No. It's just peaceful out here" I state, "then why are you going inside?" She pokes, fuck. I have a very limited time to come up with a believable explanation.

"I'm done with my tea, I was going to wash my cup" I settle with, "it can wait" she says. "Tell me what's wrong" she demands, it's funny how assertive and dominant she is outside the bedroom. Yet so submissive romantically and sexually. "Nothing's wrong" I lie and she sighs.

"Cassandra. I know when you're lying" she opines. I look over to Tammy who glances between us. She gives Cordelia a look I don't recognize. "I'm not lying, and don't call me that" I say softly. "I wouldn't have to if you would tell me the truth" she sticks with her point.

I look away from her and chuckle at myself. It's like the roles completely switch once we leave the confines of the bed. I hear her take a few steps until she's in front me. Her hands cup my cheeks and she turns my head back to her. "Tell me, baby" she whispers and I melt at the simple name.

"But it's st-" "don't you say that" she scolds gently. "I don't want to" I reply, "you don't want to answer?" She asks and I hesitate before nodding. "I'm not giving you an option here. You're going to answer" she insists. I stare back at her in silence and I feel arms wrap around my waist from behind.

I can't turn my head but I know it's Tammy anyway. "You're scared. Why?" Delia asks and I shake my head and swallow a lump in my throat. "Sweetie I can't possibly fix it, if you don't tell me what's wrong" she voices. "I don't want you to 'fix it'" I say and she furrows her eyebrows.

Since the day I met her, she's always been the 'fixer'. The person that solves everyone's problems without a second thought. I've also seen how much of a toll that takes on her. That's not my reasoning behind this, however. I can feel the connection between them and it's beautiful.

I don't want to be the person that comes between that. I can see Delia is stumped for a minute before she collects herself. "You can still tell me..." she offers, "no" I reply simply. I can't keep denying her and she knows that which is why she keeps asking. "I thought we told each other everything" she says sadly.

Normally I would think this is some sort of guilt trip. If anyone else had done it that would be my immediate thought, but this is Delia. I can hear the genuine disappointment in her voice and that hurts. I open my mouth but nothing comes out.

I get this weird pain in my chest, like physical pain. It feels like someone's pushing a needle in very, very slowly. I wince and shudder, a gasp leaving my lips. I close my eyes as it spreads and gets worse before it's just gone. All of it happening in under a minute but feeling like an hour.

"I'm sorry" I finally say and her hands drop from my face. Tears fill her eyes and she looks at me sadly. It's a look I've seen many times but never because of me. Accept for once, and I'm doing it all over again. The pain I feel from that, makes the pain my chest feel like nothing.

"Fine" she says softly before turning around and walking away. Tammy let's go of my waist and comes in front of me. The look on her face is a mix of sadness, confusion, and yet vague understanding. She jogs to catch up with Cordelia and they enter the house together. I fall back on the swing and make the cup disappear from my hands.

What the fuck did I just do?

A Collection of Short Storiesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें