𝙱𝚘𝚗𝚞𝚜 𝚂𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚎

𝚂𝚝𝚎𝚟𝚎
𝙵𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝙰𝚐𝚘

☆═━┈┈━═☆

It was Michelle Young's birthday party.

Her parents were out of town and she decided to throw a birthday bash on the first Friday of the month. Invited the whole school, and she was friends with pretty much everyone. Riley Matthews had decided that tonight, I was her prey, I didn't mind, she was hot, a little younger than me in my grade, a cheerleader had a pretty face, and she would make for a good night.

And then the room fell silent, as it always does when Sofia entered.

Sofia wore a silver dress, formed to her body so that it nearly looked like second skin, Michelle ran over to her, hugging Sofia tightly while she squealed, everyone liked to put a display on for Sofia. She was the girl that you wanted on your side. She was the face of Jade Lake, Logan was behind her, his hand placed strategically on her lower back, kissing the back of her head. "Wow," Riley breathed out beside me, forcing my eyes away from Sofia down to the girl tucked under my arm, "It would be nice to just have an inch of her beauty." Sofia looked up at me before quickly looking away, linking her fingers with Logan when he lead them to the open bar.

See, Logan when he gets drunk can go two ways, either he was happy, or he was the meanest person alive.

I never interacted with him at these events, I stayed with my friend group, he held onto Sofia like a leashed puppy while she conversed with everyone. Sofia had always managed to keep herself put together when she was drunk, never stumbled, never slurred her words. But she would flush, her skin would turn pink and she would wear a lazy smile across her mouth.

A Calvin Harris song was blaring in the speakers when the first crash happened.

Logan had shoved Sofia away from some guy who was probably trying to hit on her and she landed against the booth for the DJ, instantly people were flocking to help her, trying to pull Logan away. He was screaming at her, his face red, I had always had a soft spot for Sofia, I had been in love with her for as long as I could remember, but I never stepped in when Logan was like this. But then Sofia's bottom lip jut out, quivering because Logan was hurling every insult under the sun at her and I knew I needed to get her out of this party and away from my brother. "Sorry, I gotta go."

Riley nodded, the sweetheart she was, said she'd drive Logan back and I nodded, walking over to where the chaos was erupting.

I curled my hand around Logan's shoulder, yanking him away from Sofia who was curled up into Michelle's side, trying her hardest not to break in front of her peers. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" I yelled at Logan, putting myself between my brother and his best friend, only looking over my shoulder to where Michelle was rubbing Sofia's arms. "Take her to my car, I'm gonna take her home."

"To hell you are," Logan lunged for me again, and if he weighed a little more he may have knocked me off balance, but instead he fell back onto the sofa when he collided with me.

"The fuck is wrong with you Logan? She's your best friend and you're treating her like shit," I turned his head, pointing to where Riley was watching the whole scenario play out, "See her? Yeah her name is Riley, and you ruined my fucking night with her because you want to be a pissy bitch, she's going to take you home, you're going to fucking sober up, then you'll apologize to Sofia." I shoved his face away from me after, immediately walking out.

I pulled my keys out of my pocket, the brisk night air pulling me away from my anger, only for my heart to shatter when I saw Michelle leaning up against my car, holding Sofia against her chest while she sobbed. Sofia had always been strong, she never cried in front of people, never let anyone see a weakness. But I had seen how the Phantoms and Logan were wearing her down, she was getting tired, and she was sad. Sad she couldn't be herself without someone coming after her. I approached them, Michelle looking up at me when I touched Sofia's shoulder, "Hey Fia," my voice was gentle, I didn't want to spook Sofia, especially since this was going to be the first time we were alone together since we were kids, "can you look at me?"