𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙵𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢

𝚂𝚝𝚎𝚟𝚎

𝚃𝚠𝚘 𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝙰𝚐𝚘

☆═━┈┈━═☆

Bonfires, beer, music.

Phantoms Eve was in full swing, laughs surrounding me as I sat on the hood of my G-wagon, Curtis and Mickey on either side. We had been the three who accepted our loss to Sofia with pride, because we taught her what to do, how to win. And that in it itself was a damn accomplishment.

Girls were giggling around us, a brunette leaned against my knees as I took a long drink of my beer. No matter how badly I wished to indulge in the beauty in front of, my eyes kept scanning for Sofia. And for Bucky.

"Has anyone seen Bucky?" I nudged the girl forward, sliding off the hood of my car before turning around to look at Mickey and Curtis, both with their eyes wide looking at the church behind me.

I heard the first crackle, before wood exploded and orange filled the sky, people shrieking and running for cover. Chaos was erupting while I turned around, my heart in my throat when Bucky broke through the tree line from our left, his own shock on his face. "Where's Sofia?" Someone questioned, my eyes immediately snapping to a group of girls I recognized from Sofia's class, and her best friend Elena. The girl came up to me, taking my arms and shaking me violently, "where's Sofia?"

Where was Sofia?

It was slow motion, watching part of the steeple collapse and the blood curdling scream coming from inside the church. My heart froze, turning to look at Elena, "get Logan on the phone, now." She nodded, quickly dialing the number while I ran up the small incline, looking through the window to see Sofia sitting on the floor, tears stinging her eyes while she held her hand over her mouth, trying to vent the smoke. Blood was running down the cut on her forearm, and I could see where her skin was burning from the wood falling around her. I had never felt pure fear before, but as I watched her sitting there swaying because she was losing oxygen, everything in my body died.

I loved her and I'd never be able to tell her if she didn't make it out.

"Fire's on their way!" Curtis yelled at me.

I barely heard him, shaking the handle of the church to try and get the door open. Someone planned this, these doors were never locked. And the fact that someone hated Sofia so much they'd lock her in a burning building made my stomach roll and my body come alive with anger, I gave up on the handle, throwing my shoulder into the door until the wood splintered and gave way. A wall of heat hit me, my body recoiling to try and get away.

I blinked a few times, jumping over some burning lumber and making my way to where Sofia had collapsed in the center of the floor, a half ring of fire surrounding her. Ash covered her skin, a deep cut sliced her forearm open, and she was barely breathing, oxygen being replaced by smoke in her lungs.

I slipped my hand under her head, stabilizing her neck while lifting her up, cradling her into my body, shifting us both away when one of the pillars fell from the ceiling, missing my body by inches. Heat licked up my spine from the flame that barely missed me, and I felt the tears form in my eyes from the lack of oxygen.

I moved quickly after that, stepping over burning parts of the building, finally breaking us through the front door where we were both doused with water from Mickey and Elena, putting out the fire on various parts of our bodies. "Logan's going to the Moor house right now," Elena explained, chasing after me when I moved to the car, throwing open the backseat and loading Sofia into the backseat, "an ambulance from Sunbury City is on the way, Jade Lake sent theirs to them."