FrontLine

One year later ~ 23th November year 8

We were in a really bad position as Sunagakure, Iwagakure and Kirigakure formed an alliance against us. More and more shinobi were dying everyday.

When we first arrived, we killed plenty of ninjas and successfully pushed them back. There was a pause of around 3 months with intermittent attacks, so some shinobis were sent back to Konoha and replaced with new ones. Others helped with the platforms and we only had 4 to defend now. But, last month; that's when they created the alliance and they are now attacking with more force than ever.

Hebi, kumo and kitsune died, along with their teamates and 4th, 6th and 9th leaders died. Now there were only 32 Anbus left, including the remaining leaders and Taichou. Taichou shuffled our team and each leader were in charge of 8 members now. I had my original ones and Frog, Owl, Monkey and Tiger were added.

After 1 month of constant attack, I told them that we will be rotating shifts for fights as they were all tired. Their chakra were erratic and mentally you could see that they were scarred. We all were really. If they had continued like that, they would have died from either chakra explosion or killed themselves because of the anxiety. "In the morning the original ones will fight and at night the new ones. Within this short elapse before you change shift, report to me I'll send a clone with pills that you'll eat before resting.", I mindlinked the 8 of them.

(A/N: if the text is underlined, it means they are using mind-talked)

And we did that for nearly 6 months now. They were still tired but at least their chakra were no longer erratic. Konoha tried to relieve the ninja fighting every 3 months so that our defense didn't completely crumbled but this didn't apply to the Anbu or Root ninjas. No, for us, since we decided to wear this mask, we were forced to hide our identity and die without anybody but the Hokage knowing. So, we weren't allowed to go back until the Hokage said so or the war ended. I've come to terms with that but many didn't. For my team, I had some clones installed some seals around our sleep area so they could at least sleep in peace in that tiny moment. I also told them to remove their mask while they are in that area and to talk instead of using the tattoo cause slowly our mental health were deteriorating. They all lost this spark that they had in their eyes back when we were training in the headquarters.

I still remember, everyone's quirks and even though we were taught not to show emotions on missions, in the headquarters we were all like some kind of family despite the death risk. We had new year parties and Hebi and me often pranked those living there. Just thinking of all of them hurt me but I didn't cry. No. I... COULDN'T cry. The war has slowly been eating me inside even with the system's help to keep my body and thinking ability to the optimum condition, the same can't be said for my emotions. I don't think I've had a good night sleep since September; I was functioning thanks to supplements pills and blood clones created by Tai who rested for me.

I helped and observed the 3 sannins fighting with their summons and they are really strong! They were the ones inflicting most of the damaged to the enemies, even Tsunade kept on healing us this past few months. They also didn't ever leave the frontline even though I heard the Hokage ordered them back. I had to leave a clone with Tsunade as back when the alliance was just created and the attacks were heavier, she fainted from trying to heal everyone and was nearly killed by an enemy had I not saved her. Jiraiya who saw everything thanked me and told her what happened when she woke up. Later on when the attacks calmed down a bit, she came to thanked me; I gave her a small bag of supplement pills and told her to ask my clone when she needed them again.

To make up, for the lost of Anbus, I created 5 new Blood clones with upgraded permanent seal along with 5 explosives and 2 elementals clones. These blood clones each used a specific element and the explosives moved wherever there was a small group of enemies and exploded. The elemental ones were lightning and wind. They flickered throughout the fighting areas to electrify or cut the enemies and used poisoned to kill them. The sole issue is that I have to take a 15 minutes break in between each fight as my chakra reserves decreased quickly with this much clones using chakra around. Within that resting time, I joined my teamates or other shinobis and used only taijutsu or kenjutsu to help them.

My sharingan was always on and whenever I had enough chakra reserved I just flickered in front of enemies put them in a genjutsu and a clone behind me would kill them. This was done really fast. From an outsiders view, we just looked like a blur and the enemies would fall down like flies one after the other.

Also, whenever there were no attacks, I sent some transformed shadow clones to collect the dead bodies of shinobis and put them in a space-time storage scroll, invented by Yuki; basically, anything kept inside the scroll wouldn't age

Also, whenever there were no attacks, I sent some transformed shadow clones to collect the dead bodies of shinobis and put them in a space-time storage scroll, invented by Yuki; basically, anything kept inside the scroll wouldn't age. I've been collecting the bodies since we first left the village, I already had more than 10 scrolls which Tai stored away securely on the island completely full. And each scroll had a capacity of 100 bodies! I tried to always fight against the kids that were sent here to their death by adults not caring about the loss of innocent lives. I knocked them out and stored them in a separate sleep scroll, where anyone inside were put in a deep sleep but they still aged.

I didn't want to give these scrolls to the Hokage cause I felt like he would let Danzo experiment or even kill them. Speaking of Danzo, he sent quite a large number of Root and most of them died a stupid death as they were far too brainwashed to notice when to retreat.

Back at the village, Tai told me the Hokage organized some kind of exams to promote some ninjas as too many had died and they lacked man power. UNNECESSARY I tell you. Half of those kids would freeze up once put on the battlefield! The only thing that awaits them is an untimely death. Anyway this exam was like an Anbu recruitment but much more mild. They had a written paper, then had to fight an Anbu or a squad depending on the rank they wish to reach. Lastly they had the psychological exam which was just 2 parts, firstly they had to watched people die and secondly they had to kill some people.

Shisui and Kakashi joined, along with some of their friends, and wished to be promoted to chunin and Jonin respectively. The exam will take the whole September and October. As for Itachi who was 4, he witnessed war first hand because of Fugaku's greed who brought the young Uchihas near the border where a fight was happening. He wanted them to awaken their sharingan but 3 rogue ninjas came by and attacked the young Uchihas. My spy clone killed one of them while Fugaku took care of the other 2 but one slipped away and 6 children out of 10 were killed with 2 being Itachi's friends. Upon witnessing that he unlocked his 2 Tomoe sharingan and killed the last ninja. Fugaku looked quite proud of himself while I had to control myself not to substitute with my clone and kill him.

Within the war, I had sent 2 transformed clones who found Konan and Pain with their group but it was too late, Akihiko was already dead when they reached. While they were busy fighting against Hanzo, one of my clones collected the body while the other transformed into Akihiko. The clone inscribed some seals on clone Akihiko so that if they noticed it was a fake, it would explode and send all the information back to me.

Really I am so busy Sakumo-san! *sigh*