Light And Dark

You couldn't get more of a dead end life than myself. I once made a difference in the world, and had made so many lives better. But now here I was, driving silently down my long, empty forest consumed driveway to my isolated cabin. I had just been turned down a job at Apple, despite what my credibility gave me. See, I was an artist and inventor. After I made countless devices and gadgets that help make the world a better place, a little guy like myself was suddenly an overnight celebrity. Endorsements, social gatherings, even meeting the goddamn queen of England. I finally succeeded at my dream, to change the world. But not everyone was happy with how such a small nobody could become so popular so quickly, and those people were the selfish deranged millionaires that controlled the world. I could tell when I was declined a job, an invention was rejected, and an art piece I made was tossed out because of them. I knew.

I groaned as I stared at the gravel road ahead, my hands tightly gripping my car's steering wheel as the events from earlier replayed in my head over and over again. The cold stare of the manager, the quiet snickering from other employees around me, his bullsh*t reason for declining me, security escorting me out as employees either laughed or shot my looks of pity. The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. Not wanting to rush out of the car and punch the nearest tree till my hands bled, I turned up the volume on my radio, letting the music flow through the speakers. I had been smart to bring my CD with over 100 of my favourite songs, but considering I'd been on the road for weeks, it made sense. I sighed as When Can I See You Again by Owl City played, and I shot a glance at my rearview mirror to look at my back seats. Stuff I normally brought with me, from a few blankets and pillows, my favourite movies, a portable DVD player, toothbrush, deodorant and shower stuff all a large bag resting on the seat right in the mirror's view. Resting next to it was a large purple suitcase I customized myself with stickers and decals that housed two weeks worth of clothing (it was a pain to fit it all in), and on top of both rested a little box that carried my newest invention that Apple manager rejected. It was just a modified phone with a stronger signal and other buffs, like a far stronger and longer lasting battery.

Looking at the small box, I grumbled and shook my head, taking a tight right as my driveway went further. I regret getting such an isolated house with such an egregiously long road. Despite the wealth I accumulated, I chose to buy a small one story house with all the basic essentials and a basement. My basement had been transformed into a workshop combined with an artist studio, just so I had privacy, away from the noise of the massive city of Vancouver. The setting sun was giving the sky a bright orange glow, and thanks to the lack of any sort of light along the sides of my gravel path, the forest darkened. I pressed down a bit more on the gas pedal to get home as soon as possible, my fear of the dark tickling the hairs on my neck. I made a left, and i suddenly felt... off. Something was going on. I looked up through the windshield and noticed the sky was suddenly becoming clingy, the faint sound of thunder reaching my ears. I pushed my foot down further on gas pedal more as I accelerated to 50 km/h, my car shaking because of the gravel I drove on. I saw that the clouds continued to group up, the sky growing darker. But something irked me. It felt like the clouds were form over only me, and were following me. I pressed the gas pedal down even more. The thunder from earlier boomed louder than before. The wind began to pick up, causing leaves to fly around at breakneck speeds and the tree tops to bend dangerously low. I tried my best to shake my growing feeling of dread, choking it up to stress, exhaustion from being on the road for hours, and my rage at the Apple incident. As I sped up, the clouds began to swirl above me, the sound of thunder becoming deafening. My car's speakers cut out suddenly as I swerved out of a rogue branch that flew at my car. It felt like a tornado was forming right over my head. I felt the dread running through my whole body as I saw parts of the clouds flash. Lightning. I grit my teeth, dodging debris that flew at me from all angles.