𝟶𝟹𝟷: 𝙶𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙾𝚞𝚝. 🧸

"Welcome home, Toya." My mother greets me after I came back from the arcade with Akito. I nod and wave back, but then I see my father coming out of his room.

I should let Akito know I won't be able to meet with him for a while... it's not like he stays that long, anyway.

"It's time for dinner, so go have a seat while I get everything ready." She says as she takes me to the table and goes back into the kitchen.

I sit across from my father, trying not to show my discomfort from the silence. I try not to do anything that could annoy him.

"How have you guys been?" He asks. Does he really care, though?

".. Good." I mumble as my heart already begins to race. Except I'm anxious. If there's one thing I hate doing, it's talking to my father. He always scolds me for mumbling in front of him or not speaking loud enough.

He doesn't answer. I'm kind of relieved, but the atmosphere is kind of tense.. did they have a fight? That can't be good.

School has already been stressful for all of us. Well.. mostly An and Akito. I usually help them with their assignments after school at Ken's café with Azusawa helping me.

After my mother comes back I thank her quietly, and she smiles at me. I'm glad my father avoided mentioning how late I came home.

"So," My mother finally breaks the unbearable silence and turns to me. "How have you been doing in school, Toya?" She asks and I glance at my father to see him staring. That means there's only one way I can reply...

"I'm.. getting good g-grades, so it's going okay. An.. is the only one in my class this year. B-But Akito and the others usually v.. visit during lunch." I stop before my voice becomes shaky. For some reason I'm even more anxious to talk in front of him...

He should be proud to hear that, right? But he's never been proud of a single thing I've done.. never mind, why would I even think that? He was not happy when he found out I was diagnosed with a communication disorder. And he's certainly not thrilled I'm still going to school, either.

I can still remember what my brothers said when I finally decided to quit classical music. They called me naive. I wish they understood how happier I am now that I'm forming connections for the first time in a long time..

I can probably see why they said that, though. I was picked on in middle school. It was hard staying there because I've never talked to any other child my age except Tsukasa and Saki. I guess they found me an easy target because I couldn't say anything back to them.

And yet there I was. Going back after my last experience, hoping that this time it would be better. And it was.. I'm trying to improve. I just don't want him to get bothered by this anymore. Whatever my therapist recommended I always did it. I was scared.

It's not like I ever wanted this to happen.. but I can't keep beating myself up for this.

"I'm proud of you. You've improved so much." She fixes my hair and pinches my cheek slightly. I know she's trying her best not to be too loud whenever my father is home. Wait, did she lock the cats in her room..?

"Toya, allow me to ask you something." My father speaks, and I get taken by surprise. My mother sighs quietly and rubs her forehead. I have a bad feeling about this.

"Are you proud of yourself?" He tilts his head slightly, and before my mother can talk to him he raises his hand, signaling her that he wants to speak to me alone.

I nod, still not looking at him in the eye. How could I not be..?

"Are you glad that you've quit everything you worked for just to end up where you are now?"