𝟶𝟸𝟿: 𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚏𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗

"Akito!!" Momoi shouts, and I blink. Did I jinx it..?

"Oh, uh.. Hey, Airi." He says, and I wave, confused as she points a finger up while she catches her breath. Did she run here?

"Akito.. I have something... to tell you." She pants. Either this could go really bad or...

He looks around for a moment, and nods. "I.. I like you, Akito. I-I've liked you for a long time now!" She yells, staring him in the eye with a determined expression. Akito and I freeze, staring at her.

.. So it.. finally happened. What do I even..? Should I go? Do I leave them alone? There's no way Akito likes her back, right?

Of course he does. I don't see why I'm not able to face reality. Why would he like me? Momoi would definitely be a better partner for Akito.

I don't know, I really do want him to be happy. I've said this so many times, and I.. do mean it. If this is what makes him happy, then.. I open my mouth to speak, but shut it immediately. Do I just.. leave them alone? Would it be best just to not interfere?

There's really nothing I can do though, is there?

All I can do now is wish them the best..

He looks at me, his eyes wide, and I try my best to smile at him. I get up, letting out a soft sigh as I walk away.

Why didn't I see this coming? I.. To be stupid enough to try confessing to him, I'm such an idiot..

I can't compete with someone I have no chance against. I'm so.. hopeless. A tear escapes my eye, but I wipe it away immediately. I don't want to cry, I.. I don't deserve to cry.

I should be happy for them, but.. it's.. just so hard to.

Why can't I accept this..?

-*-*-

(Akito pov woah!!)

I blink, completely shocked. First of all, Toya left, second of all how the hell did a(n attempted date) walk with my crush turn into a situation where I've never felt more panicked in my life?

"Uh.. let's.. talk about this-"

"W-Wait, don't say anything. You.. don't actually like me back, do you? I-I heard what you said with Toya. I heard everything.. somehow I'm relieved you see me as a friend. At first I thought you two were just friends, because.. I-I was telling myself that there was a possibility you could like me back." Her lip quivers, and her voice is trembling. Why is she telling me all of this if she's saying I don't like her back..? But it's also making her cry.

"I wanted to believe that! I.. I was in denial, so I'm sorry--"

"Airi. Stop it, your makeup is running." I chuckle, wiping her tears. I don't actually care about her makeup, I just don't like to see her cry. She sobs, and nods.

"I-I don't think I'd.. actually have a chance with him. Y-You know, it's.. just that he's.. amazing, and I'm--" I mumble, still holding her face. "Look, what I'm trying to say is- I'm glad you told me this. Since.. you gathered all this courage to speak up, I guess.." Am I seriously going to accept her confession..? I don't even feel the same way, what the hell am I doing?