Pull Your Weight: Dad!Jake Sully

Request: y/n is having trouble adjusting after leaving home and she starts being really hard on herself because she feels like she's taking too long to adjust and she becomes more and more frustrated until her siblings finally bring it to Jake's attention after thinking y/n's frustration would pass so Jake tries to talk to her

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Okay kids, I need you on your best behavior. I mean it. Learn fast. pull your weight. Don't cause trouble. You got it?" Your dad said after you guys were granted Uturu to get away from war.

That had been over two months ago and all your siblings including your little sister Tuk had all done that, excelling at everything that was taught to you to survive on the island. But you on the other were taking what seemed like forever to grasp the concepts you could swim okay, but you still hadn't properly bonded with an ilu, or grasped the finger talk that they do, and it bothered you a lot because you felt you were letting your father down. 

"Make the bond. Gently." Neteyam said as he was trying to help you bond with an Ilu since he and your siblings had already bonded with theirs. 

You nodded your head following his instructions making the bond with the ilu, feeling hopeful for once and then you allowed it to guide you through the water until it threw you off. You sighed as you swam up, already feeling frustrated. 

"It's okay sis, we can try as many times as it takes." He said reassuring you but it didn't work.

You tried at least twenty more times and got thrown off each time, you didn't understand why the ilu's wouldn't bond with you, ikran bonding was easier than this! 

"Sis..let's try one time.." Your twin tried to say.

"No, forget it Nete, this is just a waste of everyone's time. If I was meant to bond with one, then I would've bonded with one by now." You said angrily. 

"Sis that's not it! Maybe you just have to find the right one." He said hating to see you beating yourself up. 

"There isn't some right one for me! Tuk for crying out loud bonded with one. It's me. I'm a failure." You said leaving your twin there with a frown on his face. 

Neteyam was the first to notice you being hard on yourself, then Lo'ak and Kiri had noticed it as well when you three came back from your finger talk lesson with Rotxo and Tsiereya and they both tried to convince you that you were learning at your own pace but you wouldn't listen to them either. They went straight to Neteyam and told him and the three of them decided that if they witness it one time they would go straight to your dad. 

You had been out on the beach playing with Tuk just trying to enjoy a moment of peace and not worrying about how slow you were adjusting when Ao'nung and some of his friends came up to you. 

"What do you want Ao'nung?" You asked as you watched Tuk make her sandcastle. 

"Just came to see if you were slow at making sandcastles as you are with learning how to live here." He said with a smirk as your smile fell. 

"Leave me alone Ao'nung." You said. 

"He's right. All your siblings including the little one have adjusted so well here, while you are still learning like you just arrived here yesterday." One of his friends said. 

"Just face it, you are the useless sibling." He said laughing as the tears threatened to spill from your eyes because they were right. 

"Sissy you know they are wrong right? Your not useless." Tuk said as the tears slid down your face.