Pain, Empathy and Heartache

Vincenzo's POV:

I saw dad's car parked to the side and right Infront of the vehicle was Chiara.

Her eyes widened in horror which immediately gave me the urge to protect her from whatever is frightening her.

I jump out of my car and run to her giving her a massive hug letting her know I'm here. She hugged me tightly shutting her teary eyes.

"Chiara, why did you leave?", I asked as I heard my voice breaking.

"I'm sorry, I'm really really sorry. I felt overwhelmed and I felt bad for being a burden. I wanted you guys to know that you didn't have to take me in. I wanted all of you to be happy!", She cried onto my shoulders leaving a wet patch.

"Shhh, it's ok. Chiara, I want you to know that you are not a burden to us. We're going have a long chat when we get home okay? Let's go.", I whispered whilst we both stood up.

I then saw one of dad's cars' and inside was my dad staring at us. And then it clicked it my head.

"Hey, Chiara, before I got out of my car I saw you watch something. Was it dad?"

"I don't want to talk about it"

I gave her a nod and I went on my phone to text the family group chat that chiara's found.

I gave dad an apologetic smile as I went to my car and drove Chiara home.

Once we got home everyone was already there sitting in the main room looking relieved.

"Chiara, we need to talk to you", I started.

"Ok"

"Why did you leave us?", I ask again so that she could tell everyone else.

"It's ok, you can tell them, they won't be mad", It was clear she was hesitating.

She nodded and repeated what she said to me to everyone else.

My family's faces contained a mixture of pain, empathy and heartache.

"Chiara, my sweet daughter, you are not a burden to us. I'm sorry but we can't explain everything now but I promise you, one day I'll tell you everything and you'll understand. For now, we can all get to know you and you can get to know all of us.", Dad calmly said.

"Ok, can I go upstairs for a little bit, I just want to be left alone?"

"Yes you can, just promise us that you won't leave us like that again.", I asked.

"Ok, I promise!", my sister responded back.

Once she ran up the stairs and closed the door I couldn't help but think when we're going to tell her about the mafia and how she's going react.

Everyone was so quiet after Chiara left, I'm not surprised that no one can process all that has happened today. I can't process it myself.

"How are we going to tell her we're in the mafia and how on earth is she going to react?", I blurt out.

Everyone gave me a 'we're not doing this now' look.

"Sorry", I mumble.

We all go our separate ways after that, we're not big on "family time" and "small talk."
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                 20 minutes later
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"It's time for dinner!", Dad shouts.

I get off my comfy bed and stare at myself in the mirror to see if I looked presentable enough to go downstairs.

I walk down to the kitchen and I see Enzo, Luca and dad waiting for everyone else

"Where's everyone else?", Enzo whines impatiently.

"Luca, go find Marcello. Enzo go to chiara's room", dad ordered.

They all left the dining room and dad and I were remaining. We sat there in a comfortable silence waiting for everyone to arrive.

Chiara and Enzo came down first and we waited for a few more minutes till we saw Luca and Marcello

"Now that everyone is here, enjoy!", Dad gave everyone a half smile.

I saw Chiara staring at the food in bewilderment.

"What's wrong?", I break the silence.

"I'm not sure I can eat all of this", she answered.

"That's ok sis, eat as much as you want, ok?"

She nodded and started to dig in like all of us.

Everyone ate like a decent human and then there was Enzo gobbling down his food like he's being starved.

We all heard Chiara giggle and everyone turned to look at her.

"What's so funny darling?", Dad questioned.

"Nothing", she replied looking at Enzo and laughing more.

After that everyone fell silent again, focusing on their food.

"I'm full", my sister announced.

"You've barely touched your food", Luca pointed out.

"That's because I'm full"

"You need to eat more Chiara, you look quite underweight", Luca said sounding concerned.

"I'm feeling quite sleepy aswell. I've had a long day"

It was clear Chiara was steering clear from feeding into that topic by changing the subject.

"Ok, have some water and go rest", dad interjected.

"Goodnight everyone"

"Goodnight Chiara, sweet dreams", we all told her making her smile.

I need to keep an eye on her eating schedule, this could either be a serious problem or nothing at all. I really do hope I'm wrong and everything is fine.

After dinner I went to my room and listened to music.

I hear my phone ring after a while. I look at the call ID and it's Dante.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I hope you guys are all enjoying this book so far.

Question of the day:
Who's your favourite singer/band/rapper?

Don't forget to comment and vote guys!! ❤️❤️