Chapter 83: Guard Your Mind

The Next Day

Mother Amelia hurried down the stairs when she heard the front door creak which means it's been opened. There at the doorstep, is Jia sitting on the floor, busy tying her shoes up with a cute backpack on her back and a lollipop between her lips. Mother Amelia pressed a hand on her chest as she sighed of relief. She almost had a heart attack thinking about a zombie entering the building.

"And where do you think you're going young lady?" Mother Amelia crossed her arms as the girl flinched. Not expecting getting caught so fast.

Jia stood up and faced the older with a grin. The lollipop now in her hand as she holds the stick of it.

"And what did I tell you about the candies? Didn't you have one last night?" Mother Amelia sighed. "And where are you off to?"

Jia grinned. "I'm going to fetch Y/n. I heard she's gonna be discharged today."

Mother Amelia nods, "Do you know how to-"

"Yes! I know where to go, Chris told me before." Jia cuts her off.

Mother Amelia walked up to her and fixed her hair with her fingers.

"Make sure you come back for lunch, okay?"

Jia nodded and skipped out of the building. Halfway there, she waved Mother Amelia goodbye and went on her merry way while Mother Amelia watched her fade into the busy streets. Little did she know that was the last time she'll be seeing her.

--

Jia hopped onto Y/n's bed as soon as she entered her room. The lady was currently being assisted on a wheelchair by a couple of nurses. Her hair's wet, which means she just got out of the shower. And she's in a comfy blue knitwear and black sweatpants along with white slip-ons.

"I like your outfit today. It looks comfy." Jia said. Plopping her face on the mattress, embracing the cozy sheets with her arms.

The nurses excused themselves as y/n turned the wheels herself to face the little girl with her.

Y/n smiled, "Why thank you. I haven't seen you in ages."

Jia rolled her eyes. "It's just one night."

"So how is school?" Y/n asked as she went to grab her things and place them on her lap.

Jia glared at her. "It's a freaking apocalypse right now, there's no school!"

Y/n chuckled. "Fine. I'm just fucking with you."

--

"You sure this is the place? It looks like a fucking pilgrim's world." Maximo pulled up the face mask up to his nose and walked towards the clinics.

The man didn't pay attention to the eyes settling around him since his figure towers over almost all of them. He watched cautiously when he passed by the two guards stationed by the entrance. He gave them a subtle nod and walked without saying anything.

"Stupid bastards. They didn't even bother to check for an I.D." Maximo whispered to himself.

"Focus, idiot. The boss wants us out of the country in hours. You gotta get the girls out ASAP." A random voice said through his hidden earpiece.

Maximo was about to complain when he saw two nurses leave a room with a label "236" on top of the door. A smirk crawled into his face when he saw a glimpse of Jia lying down on the bed before the door closed.

"Excuse me, are you new here?"

Maximo turned around to see a nurse looking up to him with a box of Chinese take-out food in hand. He cleared his throat.