Chapter 34: Past Lives

THE NEXT DAY

Man: how was it?

"They're hidden in the forests. I still have to find out when or where they'll relocate."

Man: Did anyone see you?

"No, sir."

Man: How is she?

"The child is still alive sir. Though I don't know where she could be hiding."

Man: How about her guardian?

"The nun sir?"

Man: Are you dumb? I'm talking about the BIOWEAPON.

Maria flinched but she didn't move from her spot. The man stood up from his creaking wooden chair and walked across the puddled cement. His every step sent Maria's heartbeat racing.

"Listen, closely." He gripped her chin and leaned forward. "I have no plans on fucking with that nun, all I want is the Bioweapon and the child, you hear me?"

Maria nodded and the man harshly pushed her to the side using her chin and left without a word.

"Woo! Hoo!" A guy whistled from the dark, followed by a succession of half note claps.

Maria glared at him.

"How's your chat with Glenn?" He asked.

The hanging light bulbs flickered and gave light to the damp and utterly plain room. The guy leaned against the wall, arms crossed. His hair all over the place. Tattoos spread across his biceps and chest.

"Now, now, Maximo. You're treading on some mighty thin ice here." Another guy came out of the shadows and stood beside the chair Glenn formerly sat on.

Maximo snickered. "Thin ice, huh? Gong Zi?"

--

"I say we move the citizens after we scout the area. We can't guarantee that their base is clean." James twirled some pasta around his fork and brought it up to his mouth. Chewing it.

" So this is final? We're trusting them?" Wicked scoffed.

"Of course idiot. You think they'd help us if they're red?" James batted at him. Earning an eye roll from the male.

" What have they contributed anyway?" A voice belonging to Allen came from the farthest corner of the tent.

"A lot. Including supplies and ammunition." James replied.

" Speaking of ammunition, what the hell were those-- quote on quote "special" bullets Chris used that night?" The guy beside James inquired. Lee.

Wicked snickered and leaned back on his chair with a sigh. " I wonder how what else he's hiding from us."

All eyes turned towards him. Complete silence.

" Kidding." He facepalmed himself.

" Those were RAMRODs. Or ANTI- REGEN AMMO." James started. Breaking the silence. " That white thing that night, in which they call the " mama molded"," He quoted the air. "Can regenerate fast. In turn, normal bullets can't harm it."

" Then what exactly is that bullet?" Asked Allen.

" The abbreviation means rapid-acting mycetotoxic rounds. It was made specifically for those things. One shot is enough to slow that thing down. I believe it's filled with toxins that can kill the--"

James swirled his index finger in the air.

" The--"

" The what?" Wicked leaned.