Chapter 33: She-Scarrow

AUTHOR

Y/n looked up at the sky. Hugging her bare arms as the chilly wind passed by. She could see her breath in the air.

So much for starting a new life.

She chuckled.

Somebody will think I'm crazy for talking to myself.

She closed her eyes. Taking in the tears of the clouds.

I wish this was all just a dream–

Her brows creased. No raindrops felt on either sides of her shoulders. The smell of aftershave intoxicated her nostrils. Her eyes flickered and darted up. An olive green umbrella came to sight. Its size twice  than a normal one.

She sensed someone's presence behind her.

"Don't want you catching a fever, supercop."

Y/n's heart melted.

" You should worry about your head." She said.

" I'm covered from head to toe, Y/n."

She immediately turned around to see him in full gear. But not your ordinary BSAA uniform. Instead, he's donned in an all black top and trousers, gloves and boots. Even the vest. For the head was a gas mask. A green filter attached to the side. Its visors glistening due to the rain. It was dark too.

"You look like a complete different person." She caressed the fabric on his arms.

He shuddered at the sudden contact. But he hid it anyway.

"You got a lot of catching up to do. A bunch of things happened around here when you were gone."
He explained. Holding up the umbrella closer to her head.

" Where are the others?" She asked.

Carlos sighed behind his mask. "They're in their respective tents. " His head tilted to the side. Then back to Y/n. " For now, let's get you cleaned up."

Y/n didn't protest. The Brazilian kept the umbrella above her head and slung his gun straps around his left shoulder. During the walk, Y/n kept her head straight forward. Her mouth sealed shut. Carlos, being the tall guy he is, took this opportunity to observe Y/n's condition. Her messy clothes, tangled hair and her bare feet. It made his heart ache.

Carlos stopped walking and got on one knee. Y/n looked back to see the umbrella tucked between his armpits.

"Carlos..." Y/n shifted her weight to her left leg and rubbed her right eye. A smile crept to her cheeks.

"Come on, your feet are hurting. I can see it from the way you walk."

Y/n walked around him and he hoisted her up; wrapping her legs around his stomach and her arm secured around his neck.  She volunteered to carry his rifle to which he gladly accepted.

"Why are you dressed like that?" Y/n asked when another soldier passed by wearing the same suit.

"It's only for a short time. We barely got our things out of the headquarters during evacuating. Chris told us to blend in 'till they got 'em."

Y/n nodded then frowned. She placed her head at the crook of his neck, attempting to look him in the eye. " Where did it come from?"

" Blue Umbrella." Oh shit. Carlos cursed under his breath. Eyeing her from the side.

"Excuse me, blue what now?"

Carlos felt her squirming in his grasp. He panicked.

"We're almost there Y/n and I swear, I'll explain everything to you."