Chapter 40: Suspicious

TWILIGHT

BSAA Soldier: Attention! The area has been cleared off and is ready to be occupied. Whoever is active on the radio back there, please relay this message; for those who wish to follow, you may start packing. For those who don't, you are free to stay or find a different place to reside in. I repeat! For those who wish to fo-

I slammed my palm on the power button and the radio turned off after a couple of screeches here and there. The smell of the earth had me sniffing for more. I looked down at my body and my skin was muddy. Even the hospital blanket covering me is uncomfortable. How did I end up here? After looking down for quite some time, my head started to spin. I believe I didn't drink last night. 

Cpt. Redfield: Twilight, you there? This is Chris. 

I tried to move my legs but they're shaking. Probably from staying in the same position for God knows how long. I decided to reach for my pockets as I dropped the blanket on the floor. 

"H-hey, Chris?" 

Cpt. Redfield: Woah, you okay back there? 

I had no idea my voice was hoarse. As in THAT hoarse. 

"Y-yeah, I'm okay." 

Cpt. Redfield: O-kay, well, we're on our way back. I want you to gather the team to do a quick test runs on the citizens. Make sure they're clean before they leave. 

Damn, that was fast? 

"Yeah...sure." 

Then the radio went silent. As I pulled myself up, my back ached. Causing me to hiss in pain. Heck, even my shoulders feel like hell. Maybe a warm shower will suffice. I need to relax, otherwise I'll act  like my age. I swear I don't have back pains. Cautiously, I made my way to the trailer just beside this tent and knocked two times. 

 I forgot where my phone is.

The doors opened and I was greeted with a joyful voice. 

"Oh, Twilight!" Beamed Darien. One of my younger colleagues. 

"Sorry, did I wake you up?" I asked, she shook her head. 

"Nah, I've been up since 5 in the morning." She brought our her phone. 

I frowned. "W-what time is it?" 

"It's 9:30 in the morning!" She showed her phone's lockscreen to me with her boyfriend's abs displayed as her wallpaper. "Are you gonna use the car?" 

I snapped back into reality. 

"Y-yeah. I need to." 

"Okay!" 

Darien smiled at me and jogged out of the trailer with a raincoat over her lab gown. 

Kids these days. 

I immediately stepped inside the car and closed the door behind me. Locking it. The AC sent shivers down my spine as I walked to the bathroom. Right when I entered, I looked at myself in the mirror. Where did all these cuts come from? I removed my top and sighed. And where the hell did I get these bruises on my chakra points? Did I get a message or something? There's no spa around here...? 

AUTHOR 

Carlos knocked for the third time on their shared trailer. He's tried looking through the windows but the panes are sealed shut and the AC is rumbling. 

Guess I have no choice. 

Carlos pushed the door with his whole body and found the curtain surrounding the bed is drawn. To his left, the reason for the difficult entry was a chair's top rail blocking the knob from being turned.