14

-The weekend- Match Day!
Lucy POV:
The boys have been working hard all week, today is match day which means my 1 to 1 meetings with all the lads. I do them in the same order as last week leaving Ben, James, Jack, Dec and Mase as my last few. I call James in first, "Hey Mads, I need you to be honest with me about your knee?" He smiles and giggles "Hey Luce, what makes you think I wouldn't be honest?" I raise my eyebrows at him and say "you hate the knee support" he laughs again then his face turns serious "honestly it's been hurting a bit, but no where near as much as before" I nod and grab what I need "okay, I'm going to put rub on it, and apply the support tape rather than the knee support as right now I can't sign you off to play with no support on it at all. I'll monitor you during the match and we will reapply at half time too. Is this okay with you?" He nods but looks gutted then says "when can I play with no support?" I shrug and say "I don't know Mads, but how about on Monday we have a meeting, we will re do all the tests to see where we're at and maybe put together a plan for here and at home exercises you can do to strengthen it up, I don't know when but I promise i'll try my best to get you on that pitch with no support before the euros is over" he grins at me "thank you so much" as he leaves I say "come on chilly" he comes in and tells me no serious aches and pains but he did fall and hurt his fingers earlier, "why wait until now to tell me?" He shrugs "I didn't think much of it. I thought it wasn't serious" I laugh "that's my job to tell you that. I think they might be broken, so I'm going to strap them for the game but tomorrow you need to get them x-rayed at hospital." He nods "sorry Luce" I laugh "it's okay, off you go." Jack is next and I know he's been struggling this week, todays meeting is going to determine if he can play or not in this match but I'm not hopeful, I see him slightly limping as he comes in "How is it today Jack?" He shrugs "I'm sure I'll be fine" I shake my head "right onto the bed, let me check it out as I've seen you limping in here." He sighs but does what I've asked.
After assessing his thigh, noticing the pain when I touch as well, I say "I'm sorry J, I can't sign you off to play, your thigh isn't in good enough shape, if you play you could get more injured and be out the rest of the season or even into league games. On Monday we will have a meeting and talk it through, run tests and put a plan in place to have you back on the pitch next game" he stands up abruptly and says "oh fuck off, can't believe you won't let me fucking play" I take a deep breath knowing it's just misplaced anger "Jack, I'm sorry, I know you wanted too but I can't sign you off, your leg isn't okay. I'm sorry" he walks to the door "you ain't fucking sorry though are ya!" He walks out and slams the door. I take a deep breath to try and stop the tears then the door opens and I see Mason and Dec running in to me "Luce, what happened?" Mason hugs me tight. "Nothing it's okay. Right I'll do you two together as we're running out of time." Declan looks at me and says "Lucy what happened with Jack?" I shake my head "nothing it's okay, it's confidential." Then I hear "I haven't got no pains or injuries, I rushed in here to make sure you're okay but your just gonna lie to me.. I'm going" I see Mason walk out the door, I try calling him back, I sit on my chair and put my head in my hands. I know Dec is still here. "I'm not lying to you both, legally I'm not allowed to discuss any of you lads with anyone else except that person or the necessary staff, I can only talk about it if I get permission off of that player." He nods "I get it Luce, I think Mason is just worried about you that's all. I'll talk to him, but to let you know I'm all good today. Are you sure you're okay?" I shrug "I was a lot better before Mase ran out but you've got a game to get to. Good luck and tell Mason I said good luck too." He hugs me and heads out. I get what I need and head to update Gareth on what the outcome of todays meetings is.
Mason POV:
I head into the changing rooms and Ben says "woah Mase what's up, I thought you'd still be with Luce?" I shake my head "nah, she's fucking lying to me." Then Dec walks in and says "she ain't lying to you, if you waited long enough to let her explain, she's legally not allowed to discuss anything said in a meeting with a player unless it's with that player or Gareth and the necessary staff members" I look up and realise that I've fucked up. "Fuck, I didn't think of that" Ben pats my shoulder and says "let the girl speak next time" then Jack comes over and says "I need to apologise to Luce mate." I look at him confused "apologise for what?" Jack explains all that happened and how now he realised she's doing what's best for him. I now know that's why she was upset.
We head out to the game and I'm gutted as I haven't had chance to apologise to Lucy yet and she deserves it. At 30 minutes in to the game, a player on the other team gets injured and it gives us a chance to run over to get a drink, as we're all drinking Gareth is discussing tactics with Harry. I see Lucy and get her attention, she walks over and I say "I'm so sorry Lucy, I get it now. Can we talk after the game please" she smiles and nods "course we can" I mouth I love you as I run back to start play again.
Lucy POV:
I sit watching the game and I feel a tap on my shoulder, I look around and see Jack. "I'm sorry Lucy, I shouldn't have said what I did." I smile "it's okay, you were angry and in that moment I had told you the worst possible thing, I get it, but I'm going to get you back playing I promise" he grins "I really do appreciate the help. And again I am sorry."
By 65minutes the score is 1-1, I see the other team do a nasty tackle on to James. I watch him fall down in pain, I grab my bag knowing we're going to get called on. I see Kennedy in the stands and I offer her a small smile as I run into the pitch. As I get there he's crying, "Mads, I got you yeah. Do you trust me?" He nods "right we're taking you off this pitch and straight to my room, we will help you hop off of this pitch but I'm going to wipe these tears and your gonna need to put on a brave face until we're in the room as your wife is currently in a panic and we need to calm her down." He nods and that's exactly what happens. He waits until we get to the room and he breaks down as he's hurt and he knows it could ruin the rest of his international season and even a possibility of his future playing at all.
I've strapped his knee and we ran tests and scans, luckily I think only a couple of weeks out and he'll be okay. I've given him crutches for the next couple of days to help rest it.
As I walk out I see Mason waiting for me. "Hey babe, you may as well go home and I'll meet you there later. I've got a meeting with Gareth to discuss plans for Monday and the injuries. Sorry" he smiles and hugs me tight "okay, call me when you finish and are your way home and I'll make sure your dinners ready" I smile "thank you baby. I love you" he grins "I love you too" as he walks away with Madders I hear James say "you've got a fucking good mrs there you know" and I hear Mase reply "I know I do lad" this makes me smile as I head to Gareth's office.