Chapter Nine - A Runaway

P.o.v Tyler

School was stressing me out. Everyone was pressuring me... Josh had gone out of town for the weekend with his family. His phone must of died because my calls aren't going through and every message says pending.

My parents got into a bad fight and said I should just leave.

"Get out! Get out Tyler! If your mother can't be happy, neither can you!"

I packed a bag scared he'd come up and hit me because I hadn't left. I ran out on my bike. I stopped at Josh's house just to see if they made it back, they hadn't so I kept riding until it got too dark and the amount of street lights decreased. I had finally been completely alone. I was lost and scared to go back home. Two days of just wandering.

I left my bike once I found another city, I ended up on a bridge. My mind was running back and forth with so many thoughts, it was night again.

Rapping to prove nothing

Just writing to say something

Cause I wasn't the only one who wasn't rushing to say nothing

This doesn't mean I lost my dream

It's just right now I've got a really crazy mind to clean

Know what I mean?

No I didn't understand a thing you said

If I didn't know better I'd guess you're all already dead

I had texted Josh for hours now, my phone was about to die. I remember this place... We got slushies at a convenient store and Sat on the concrete bench here, I really needed Josh.

All I had in my bag were clothes, hygienic items and a flashlight.

I was freezing and Josh wasn't answering me. I left a voicemail saying,

" Josh I'm so sorry, slushies, concrete bench, look for a flashlight flickering. I'm shivering.. Help me"

I waited and waited and waited. To no avail did rescue come... I was lifeless.

There was no hope.
---------------------------------------------
P.o.v Josh

My phone had died on the way back home. This had been the first night where me and Tyler didn't talk... I was worried what he may be thinking, I could only imagine.

When I got to my room the first thing I did was charge my phone, my parents went to bed. When it finally turned on, 36 messages, 15 missed calls, one voicemail... They were all from Tyler.

I listened to the voicemail...oh my god.

" Josh I'm so sorry, " I didn't want to hear him say that, he sounded really scared.

"slushies, concrete bench," I remember that, I took him to get one at a gas station and we Sat by this huge bridge. I had started shuffling to leave.

"look for a flashlight flickering." was he hurt? Or laying down? I knew it was pretty dark out but the bridge lights up, I started my car.

"I'm shivering.. Help me" I was speeding the entire way, there were no cops out anyway.. Blurryface came and told me it was my fault, I let this happen, I hurt him..

I drove across the almost empty bridge and found his flashlight on, on the ground he had closed his eyes. I carried him to my car, cold, lightweight, pale lips, purple neck.. I gave him my jacket and started driving home.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry"

"Tyler, stay with me...stay awake.."

He wasn't responding but I could hear him trying to.

"Come on Ty, keep talking to me. Sing me that song...the uhh, Whisper."

He stopped repeating sorry and sang, it was waving in and out of tune but as long as I knew he hadn't passed out.

When the song was over, I stopped and carried him into my house. I put him on the couch and covered him with blankets until he was warm. My mom came down and said she heard me crying.

Never before had my mom knew about Blurryface but when she saw me attending Ty's cut red arm and the bruising on his stomach and around his neck, the cold lips, crying eyes and messed up hair..I felt like she did.

She fixed him some food and I finally got him to a stage of sitting up. He had nowhere else to go. I looked at my mom for approval for him to stay as long as he needed. She was hesitant but nodded.

He ate and needed sleep. I helped him to my bed, I needed to make sure that he'd be okay for the night, I couldn't lose my best friend. Not like this.. Blurryface would kill me. He would trap me in his game and I'd lose. There would be no more me, no more Tyler, no more life.