Chapter 15: Am I late?

(The same day after the judges left)

Austin: Uff it's finally over. I gave a reasonable precaution point. We did well! But Sheden, you messed up big this time. We're going to loose because you stuttered once while speaking your part! We are going to loose because of you.
Sheden: As far as I know, the judges didn't even notice that. However they did notice how rude your ending was. Allysa said this hundreds times to you, to ask the judges in the end if they have any doubts but you only cared about ending things as soon as possible. Didn't you hear that this project has a lot of potential and even eligible to be patented? Do you know how big as an achievement it is? But unfortunately the right time was with the wrong person. You didn't deserve to be in our group, and get such a talented leader.
Austin: Well what do I do if the judge was other person whose ancestors were farmers? He would of course love the idea based on agriculture. We want a modern project like they are presenting in Stacy's group. Not some idea which would appeal to countryside people.
Sheden: I hope you realise you are badmouthing people who produce food for us.

This silly argument between Sheden and Austin continued and Allysa was just too heartbroken in a sweet way to listen their bickering or stop them. She was smiling in teary eyes. Did they said her project had a lot of potential and is eligible to be patented? This couldn't sound any better. Her idea was great. She could have won the exhibition and maybe even got the chance to get the project patented. Unfortunately she lost this opportunity because of someone she loves dearly, but not anymore. She was so lost in her bitter sweet thoughts that she didn't realise tears rolled down her cheeks drop by drop. Austin pulled her short hair dragging her back to reality. Allysa was horrified. Did he just touch her hair? If he did, he triggered her dark memory with him.

Allysa turned back dramatically towards Austin while suddenly panting hard.

Allysa: What do you want?
Austin: I want your thousands of explanations- wait, why are you crying?
Allysa: Am I? (Touching her cheeks) oh well my eyes are burning due to cool temperature of winter.
Austin: Shall I blow my warm breath on your eyes? It works! My mom used to do this-
Allysa: No it's fine, you'll just make it worse. Everyone, sit down and relax. You all did well.
Austin: And I did the best.

Allysa just signed as a response and sat down on her chair. She asked Sheden to pass her water bottle.

Austin: You know I can be a better alternative of water. My sweet words won't make your throat dry.
Allysa: Austin please, don't interrupt me. I'm disappointed by the situation. Don't utter another word. Please.

Austin sensed something terribly wrong and kept his mouth shut. He sensed sorrow in her words. As if she is tired. Tired from his mood swings. Tired from his uncooperative self. Tired from him.
Am I late to realise this?

*
I hope I can make it up to her.
*
No you can't, you aren't late. It's never late of course but you are just not the right person for me.
*