Part 7

SANDISO

Sisa and I continued our conversation as her phone provided directions to her flat. The soft glow of the screen illuminated her face in the dimly lit car interior. Suddenly, the device rang, interrupting our discussion, and upon checking the caller ID, Sisa announced, "It's your girlfriend."

"Answer it and put it on speaker," I suggested, curious about what Amahle had to say.

She complied, and Amahle's voice resonated through the car speakers.

"To what do I owe this unpleasant call?" Amahle's voice was sharp, cutting through the tension in the car.

"How should I know?" Sisa replied, her tone guarded.

"Sbu told me he drove you home. Now, where is he?" Amahle demanded, her voice tinged with suspicion.

"He's busy. Try calling him on his phone," Sisa replied calmly, maintaining her composure.

I parked the car on the side of the road, realizing this conversation needed my attention. I grabbed the phone and set it to hands-free mode, allowing both Sisa and Amahle to hear me clearly.

"Beautiful," I greeted Amahle, trying to diffuse the tension.

"Seriously, Sandiso?" Amahle's voice was laced with frustration.

"Babe, we met at the café, and it was too late for her to catch a taxi home," I explained, hoping to ease her concerns.

"I know JHB has cabs!" Amahle retorted, her frustration palpable.

"They're expensive," I reasoned, trying to justify my actions.

"You could have loaned her cash if you care so much," Amahle pointed out, her tone accusing.

"Babe, come on, relax. There's nothing between Sisa and me, okay?" I reassured her, hoping to alleviate her doubts.

"I never said there was," Amahle replied, her tone softening slightly.

"Except you implied it, babe. Relax, okay?" I urged, feeling the need to defend myself.

"Wow," Amahle muttered, her disappointment evident.

"I'm sorry if me driving a friend home upsets you," I apologized, realizing how my actions might have been misinterpreted.

"Oh, she's your friend?" Amahle's voice was tinged with sarcasm.

"Come on, Muhle, you know what I mean," I replied, trying to reason with her.

"No, it's fine. Take your friend home, Sandiso, and be busy together," Amahle retorted, her frustration bubbling to the surface.

"Seriously, Amahle?! There is nothing between us!" I exclaimed, feeling exasperated by her lack of trust.

"Why didn't you answer your phone when I called you?" Amahle demanded, shifting the focus of the conversation.

"It was in my pocket on silent," I explained, hoping she would understand.

"I'm supposed to buy that, right?" Amahle's tone was skeptical.

"I wasn't selling it," I replied, feeling slightly defensive.

"Oh!" Amahle's response was short, indicating her reluctance to continue the argument.

"Fine, Sandiso," she conceded, her tone resigned.

As the call ended, a heavy silence descended upon the car, the weight of the conversation lingering in the air. Sisa glanced at me sympathetically, her eyes reflecting understanding. Despite her efforts to remain neutral, I could sense her unease, and I silently hoped that this misunderstanding wouldn't strain our friendship.