The First Performance

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, there was a knock on the front door.

"Colin, would you mind getting that?" Frankie called out from her closet, changing into her sweatpants and hoodie.

"Sure!" he yelled back, opening the door and staring at the newcomer. "Can I help you?"

"Uh, maybe I have the wrong apartment. Is this where Frankie lives?"

"Maybe. Who are you?"

Just then, Frankie walked into the living room. "Jess!" she squealed, running up to him and wrapping her arms tightly around his neck.

"That's Jess?" Colin whispered to Finn as they both stared at the scene unfolding before them.

"Apparently," the Australian replied.

"You've never seen pictures?"

"If I did, I blocked them out."

"Huh."

Finn cocked his head, staring at Frankie and Jess as they finally pulled apart. "I imagined him taller."

"Guys, this is Jess. Jess, this is Finn and Colin," Frankie said with a smile, introducing the group to each other.

"Hey." Jess extended his hand out to the Yale graduates.

"Colin."

"Finn."

"Nice to meet you," Jess said with a nod.

Frankie glanced around at the boys, feeling the tension in the air. "Alright! Who's hungry?" she said, walking over to the front door and grabbing her purse. "I haven't eaten for hours, and there's a great restaurant just down the street."

"Sounds good to me," said Jess, walking out of the apartment as Frankie held the door open.

Colin and Finn shrugged, following Jess into the hall.

"So, Jess, what do you do?" Finn asked politely once they were all seated at a table.

"I work at a publishing house in Philadelphia."

"Don't be so modest," Frankie said, nudging him with her elbow. "He runs it with two other guys. It's a really cool space. It's a bookstore, performance space, and art gallery all rolled into one. And he wrote a book."

"A short novel," Jess clarified. "What about you guys? What do you do?"

"This and that," said Colin as he picked up the menu. "What's good here, Twinkle Toes?"

Frankie groaned. "Still with that horrible nickname?"

"You love it, don't lie."

"I'm not lying. I hate it."

"You'll miss it when it's gone."

"No, I won't."

"Children, please! We're in public," Finn exclaimed, placing a hand on their shoulders. "Now is not the time for bickering. Understood?"

"Fine," Frankie said with a sigh.

"Yeah, whatever," Colin agreed.

"How long have you all known each other?" Jess asked curiously.

"I met Finn my first year of college, and I met Colin a year later, I think."

"Sounds accurate. Time isn't my strong suit," Colin stated.