The Winter Carnival and the Surprise

It was the new year, and snow was covering the small town of Stars Hollow. Frankie had finished her college applications and auditions, and was now anxiously waiting for the letters to come back. School had started up again after the break, so she had that to distract herself, at least, and the Winter Carnival was just around the corner.

Frankie was skating home from Ms. Patty's one evening when she almost ran head-on into Dean. "Oh, Dean! I'm so sorry, I didn't see you."

The boy chuckled, placing his hands on her shoulders to steady her so she wouldn't fall over. "All good."

They stood awkwardly for a moment before Frankie broke the silence. "So, how are you?"

"I'm okay. Just dropped off some of Rory's stuff."

She nodded in understanding. "Cool, cool, cool."

Dean cracked a small smile. "Yeah, I guess."

As he started to walk away, Frankie called out to him. "Hey, I just want to apologize."

"For what?" he asked, turning around.

"For how everything came out." Frankie sighed and stepped forward. "It wasn't my finest hour, and I'm really sorry I said it at the dance marathon."

Dean shrugged and put his hands in his pockets. "I'm not. I don't think she would've told me otherwise. And now I know. The public setting wasn't ideal, but at least I know now."

Frankie gave him a small smile and stretched out her arms. "Friends?"

He chuckled. "Friends."

They embraced for a moment before Dean pulled away. "Well, I gotta head home. See you at school, Frankie."

"See you." She waved as he walked off into the night, then skated the short distance home.

The following day, Jess and Frankie walked around town, then over to Luke's together after school.

"You know, you didn't have to wait for me. I could've just met you at the diner," she giggled as he kissed her cheek.

"Yeah, but I missed you."

"Awe, I missed you, too." She leaned up and pecked his lips as they walked by the gazebo. "So, the Stars Hollow High Winter Carnival is on Thursday."

"Oh, jeez," Jess groaned, throwing his head back. "Another town function?"

Frankie giggled as she wrapped her arms around his waist, leaning against the structure in the town square. "Yes. It'll be fun! Bad games, bad food. Lane and Kayla will be there. Plus, I have to go."

"Why do you have to go?"

"Because I signed up to man one of the booths."

Jess chuckled as they continued their walk to Luke's. "Fine, but don't expect me to have fun."

"Oh, please. You had fun at the Dance Marathon."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did. You can't deny it. I saw your smile."

Jess leaned down and kissed her so she would stop talking, almost walking them into traffic. "I will neither confirm nor deny your statement."

They entered the diner, making a beeline for the stairs up to the apartment, when Lorelai burst through the door. "Frankie! Thank God. I need your help."