A Wedding and Heartbreak

The following week, Frankie completed her finals, packed up her belongings, then made her way home. She saw Penny off to the airport, promising to keep in touch over the summer, then met up with Kayla at Grand Central Station to take the train back to Connecticut.

They arrived home late that Friday night. The taxi dropped them off at Kayla's house, where they greeted her family, then Frankie began the tedious walk home, lugging her bags and suitcases precariously. As she walked through the square, her phone began ringing obnoxiously in her pocket. Needing a break from dragging her belongings home, she dropped them on the sidewalk, fishing out her phone, and flipping it open. "Hello?"

"Hello, Francesca."

"Well, hello, Finn. How are you?"

"I'm good, how are you?"

"I'm doing well. Just got back home to Stars Hollow." She sat down on the curb and stretched out her legs, looking up at the bright night sky. "Where are you in the world?"

"Oh, you know. Here and there," Finn said, waving his hand around with a smirk.

Frankie grinned and shook her head. "Still so mysterious."

"Always, love. I haven't talked to you in a while, everything okay?"

"Oh, uh, yeah. Why?"

Finn shrugged as he leaned against the bar counter at the pub he was in. "I called a couple times, you didn't answer."

Frankie sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Right. That. I had to help convince my ex-boyfriend to go to his mom's wedding, and he asked me to go, and then we met up to clear the air, so I've just been trying to figure all that out."

Finn furrowed his brows, processing the information. "So, you're back with your ex?"

"No, no. Just going with him for moral support."

"Uh-huh. Right."

"What?"

"Nothing. Just doesn't seem like it's just moral support."

Frankie scrunched up her face in confusion. "Well, I mean, if it's not, so what?"

"I just worry about you, love."

"Are you jealous, Finn?" she teased playfully.

The man scoffed, taking a large sip of his drink. "Pfft, me? Jealous? I don't get jealous, Francesca."

"Right. Okay. Well –" Frankie started, but caught a glimpse of Jess out the corner of her eye. "Oh, um, Finn, I gotta go. I'll call you soon. Have fun in here and there."

Finn chuckled at her comment. "Will do. Bye, love."

Frankie quickly hung up the phone as Jess walked up to her.

"Hey," he said, taking a seat next to her.

"Hi."

Jess nodded towards her phone. "Who was that?"

Frankie shook her head and shrugged. "Just a friend."

He raised an eyebrow, narrowing his eyes slightly. "Oh, yeah?"

The girl let out a light scoff, standing up and grabbing her bags to finish her walk home.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It's none of my business and I have no right, I know." He watched her struggle for a moment, then gestured to the bags in her hands. "Here, let me."