Unexpected Complications

After talking to her parents, Frankie was starting to feel better; like a weight had been lifted from her chest. Once she was back in New York, she had sat down with her roommates and explained why she had been acting differently the past two months. Penny cried, Kayla was stunned, and Jacqueline blamed herself. Frankie insisted that it was no one's fault, not wanting anyone to take the blame for something they didn't know had occurred and had no part in.

Speaking to her roommates made Frankie realize that she wanted to go to the police and report what had happened. She went into the city and talked to detectives, and they assured her that they would do everything they could.

Once she had reported the assault, she focused only on the New Dances production. Her determination and commitment to the performance was renewed, and the choreographer noticed. The opening night of the show, he pulled her aside.

"I've seen your passion restored over the last couple of weeks. I'm very impressed."

"Thank you, sir," Frankie said with a smile.

"I don't know what happened, and I don't need to know, but I just wanted to tell you that I'm proud of you for turning it around."

"Thank you."

"Let's have a great show, yeah?"

"Yes, sir."

The performance went off without a hitch, and Frankie shined. Soon after that, it was winter break. Frankie went home, looking and feeling better. She and Christopher had agreed to call each other every day, just to check in, which was giving her some comfort, and he had offered to pay for anything that she needed to get her through the ordeal. Frankie appreciated the offer, but she was hoping that the investigation wouldn't end in a trial.

Back in New York for her spring semester, Frankie was more focused and committed to her studies and performances. She felt more free since telling her family and friends about her experience, and having shoulders to lean on when necessary was a huge relief.

"Do you think you're gonna head home for the winter carnival?" Kayla asked one evening as they walked home from dinner.

"No. I'm so busy right now, I just don't have the time."

"Wow, this will be the first one you've missed, ever."

Frankie chuckled. "Yeah, I know. I just need to focus, you know? Last semester was a disaster, so I just want to focus on my studies this semester."

Kayla grinned, slinging an arm over Frankie's shoulder. "I'm proud of you, Frank."

A few days later, Lorelai called Frankie as she was getting ready for bed.

"Hey, mom."

"Luke has a kid."

"What?" the girl exclaimed, dropping her hairbrush on the floor in surprise.

"Luke has a daughter. She's about twelve, really smart, very cute, and she's his. Her name is April. Luke has a kid."

"I – what – when – Luke has a kid?" Frankie stammered, trying to get her thoughts in order.

"He found out two months ago. He hid her from me. What does that say about our relationship?"

"He's known for two months?"

"I just don't know what this means. He hid something so huge from me."

"Yikes."