Chilton Winter Formal

Friday night dinner conversation had been consumed with talk of the Chilton formal. Rory had stated that she didn't want to go, and Emily had been appalled that she hadn't even considered attending. Rory, in response, had told the table that Frankie would be attending with Tristin, which had earned her a kick to the shin from her younger sister under the table. Emily was ecstatic that at least one of her granddaughters was going to the dance, and had begun rambling about taking the teenager shopping for the perfect dress. Lorelai had cut in, saying that she had made Frankie's dress, and it was beautiful.

The ride back to Stars Hollow was entertaining for Frankie as she listened to her mother and sister go back and forth about the formal. Rory said that she didn't like dances, which Lorelai had countered by stating that Rory had, in fact, never been to a dance. It was like watching a tennis match for Frankie. Each statement was volleyed back, and was countered with another argument. It was finally resolved when Rory agreed, and Frankie squealed in excitement, happy that she wouldn't be alone.

"Wow, someone hit you two with the pretty stick," Lorelai gushed, taking in the twin's appearance. It was the evening of the dance, and the girls were getting ready.

"These dresses are amazing. You outdid yourself," Frankie said with a smile, lifting the dark green fabric of her dress and spinning around.

"They're beautiful, babe, you look beautiful." Lorelai beamed at her daughters. "Come here."

"What?" the twins asked in unison.

"Stray hair," the mother responded, motioning to Rory. Her hair was done up, while Frankie had opted to keep her hair down. She had curled it slightly, the waves cascading down her back, with a few bobby pins securing strands of hair behind her ears.

"Fix please," Rory said, walking over and sitting down on the coffee table in front of her mother.

"I think my favorite part is the shoes." Lorelai pointed to the girls' feet once she was done fixing Rory's hair. Rory was wearing combat boots and Frankie was wearing slippers.

"The heels hurt," the oldest twin stated.

"Well, beauty is pain."

"I'm just waiting until we're leaving to put them on. My feet will kill me in two seconds if I put them on now," Frankie explained. Even though Frankie hated dresses and makeup with a passion, dance competitions had trained her well when it came to dressing up and making the most of it.

"No, you should put them on now and let your feet get really numb," Lorelai said with a smile.

"That's sick," said Rory, feigning disgust.

The rest of the evening passed in a blur. Sookie had sprayed hairspray in her eye, Emily had taken a million photos, and tacos had to be protected from the hairspray. The only relief Frankie felt was when they heard a car honk outside.

"That's Dean!" Rory said excitedly. Dean would be driving all three of them to the dance. Frankie didn't see the point in having Tristin drive all the way to Stars Hollow when her sister and her sister's date would be attending the Chilton formal, as well.

The girls said goodbye to their mother and grandmother, about to head out the door when Emily stopped them. "Where are you going?"

"To the dance," Rory replied, confused.

"You do not go running out the door when a boy honks."

"Mom, it's fine." Lorelai tried, but failed, to reason with her mother.