Debutantes

Frankie had been so consumed by her need to perfect her recital piece, she had missed the announcement that Rory was going to be partaking in a debutante ball. She was only made aware of the weird and sudden event when her sister burst through her bedroom door one evening.

"We're coming out!"

Frankie looked up from her homework, furrowing her eyebrows. "What?"

"We're coming out!" Rory repeated excitedly.

"You need to be more specific because I think we're thinking two different things."

"We're going to be debutantes." Rory smiled and sat on Frankie's bed, picking up a pillow and hugging it to her chest.

"I'm sorry. We're what?!"

"We're going to be –"

"I heard you." Frankie lifted a hand, signaling her sister to stop talking. She ran a hand over her face in frustration, then turned back to Rory. "How did I get roped into this? I don't want to go to some debutante ball. The whole practice is archaic."

"Grandma really wants this. She was so excited; you should've seen her face when I was trying on mom's old dress. Please, Frankie, do this for Grandma." Rory pouted slightly, giving her sister puppy-dog eyes.

Frankie groaned, slamming her head on her desk. She took a minute to think about the proposition, then turned back to her sister. "Fine. But you owe me."

Rory squealed, jumping up and giving Frankie a tight squeeze. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

The younger twin rolled her eyes, patting her sister's arm. "Yeah, yeah, whatever."

A few days before the ball, Christopher came to town, much to everyone's surprise and pleasure. They hadn't seen him in a while, and his presence was very needed and much appreciated.

The following day, Rory and Dean were rehearsing the debutante dance at Ms. Patty's studio. Frankie had tagged along, not knowing what else to do. Emily had arranged for Frankie to be escorted by one of her friend's sons. Apparently, he had been an escort for a debutante ball before, so he knew the dance, and Frankie picked it up quickly, so they didn't feel the need to rehearse together.

Frankie was watching her sister and Dean struggle from outside, trying her best to stifle her giggles. They were trying, but failing miserably. Ms. Patty gave her a look, telling her to go away, so she obliged, letting her giggles out once she made it into Luke's.

"Need something, Frankie?"

"Coffee, please!"

"You know coffee stunts your growth, right?"

"Good thing I'm not growing anymore."

As Luke turned his back on the teenager, Jess walked into the diner from the apartment above.

"Hey!" Frankie called with a smile.

"Hey." Jess sat down next to Frankie at the counter. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here for coffee. What are you doing here?" she asked with a smirk.

"I work and live here."

"Speaking of work, get back to it," Luke called over his shoulder from the kitchen.

Jess rolled his eyes. "I'm on my break."