Jess in Boston

Once Jess had showered and changed, the couple left to go explore Boston together. Frankie took him down to Seaport, where they walked along the harbor, taking in the view. They took the T – Boston's subway system – to Back Bay and Fenway Park where the Red Sox play, and then walked over to the Museum of Fine Arts. Frankie could see that Jess was getting a little bored, so she took him to the Boston Public Library, an incredible building with a rich history, and plenty of books to choose from. Jess' eyes lit up as they entered, his gaze traveling over the architecture and finally landing on the sea of books that lined the walls.

"This is incredible," he whispered, grabbing Frankie's hand and dragging her over to a section. She giggled. His joy at being in the space was infectious.

They spent the rest of the day there until the library closed, reading and exploring the building. When they had to leave, much to Jess' displeasure, they walked down Boylston and Newbury streets, taking the touristy way home.

They made it back to the apartment around seven and had dinner with Christopher, which gave him the opportunity to grill his daughter's boyfriend.

"So, Jess. How's school?"

"It's school."

"Any plans for college?"

Jess shrugged. "I haven't really thought about it, to be honest."

"Would you be opposed to Frankie going to college?"

"No, sir. I think it would be great for Frankie to go to college. I know she's been scouted by some arts schools already."

Christopher turned to his daughter, a shocked expression on his face. "Really?"

Frankie blushed and nodded. "Yeah."

"Which ones? When did this happen?"

"Juilliard, NYU, UCLA. A few other smaller schools, too. And, uh, it happened a while ago."

"Frank, that's amazing! Why didn't you tell me?" her father asked, amazed but also slightly offended that his daughter hadn't told him about this.

She shrugged and looked down. "I guess I just thought you wouldn't care."

"Why?"

"Because mom didn't."

Silence fell over the table, Frankie's words tearing through Christopher like an arrow. He sighed and reached over, grasping his daughter's hand. "What's going on with you guys, honey?" he asked gently.

"I honestly don't know. Jess helped me realize that I've been a doormat for them for a really long time, and ever since I've started standing up for myself more, it's just become really bad at home."

"What do you mean by 'doormat'? I thought you all were really close?"

"I thought so, too. But when Rory got into Chilton, the balance became skewed. And with Grandma and Grandpa, it took them a while to even acknowledge that I mattered in the equation, too. They were just so excited about Rory and Chilton, as was mom, that I just kinda fell by the wayside," Frankie rambled. "Or maybe it was always skewed and I never noticed it until Rory got into Chilton." Frankie finally looked up at her father and saw his downcast expression. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything."

"No, Frank, don't apologize. I asked," her father said quietly, a reassuring smile on his face. He cleared his throat and leaned back, then turned his attention back to Jess, changing the subject. "So, Jess. How long have you two been together?"