The Breakup and the Dates

After Richard's health scare, Frankie began retreating from her family and friends. She stopped hanging out with Kayla and Lane, would barely say anything to Luke when she went to the diner, and was not fully present during her lessons with Ms. Patty. Frankie would wake up, go to school, go to Ms. Patty's, and then go straight back home. She wasn't eating much, and was sleeping way more than she usually did.

Frankie hid in her room one night when Lorelai and Max had a date. She didn't come out until long after they had left, only going into the kitchen to get water so she wouldn't get dehydrated. She stayed under her blankets well into the following day, not even answering when her sister asked if she wanted to get coffee at Luke's together. Frankie also didn't join her mother and sister ice skating, which was one of her favorite winter activities. Lorelai and Rory were worried about the girl, but didn't know what was wrong, what to do, or how to help. So, they let her be.

Friday night dinner after the disastrous Parent's Day at Chilton, where Paris had caught Lorelai and Max kissing in a classroom, was the last thing any of the Gilmore's wanted to do. But, they nevertheless arrived, only for the twins to be ordered upstairs so Emily could scold Lorelai about the affair. While the mother and daughter argued, Rory took the opportunity to try and reach her very desolate and withdrawn sister.

"Are you okay?"

Frankie looked up, eyes glazed. "Hm?"

"Are you okay?" Rory asked again, gently. "You've been really quiet recently."

"I'm fine," Frankie said, unconvincingly.

Rory nodded, watching as her sister went back to biting her nails. "I don't believe you."

Frankie rolled her eyes. "Okay."

"You've barely come out of your room since Grandpa was in the hospital. What's going on?"

"Nothing."

"I don't believe you."

"I don't know! Okay? I don't know!" Frankie exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. "I don't know what's happening. I don't know what's going on. I just feel empty. I feel empty and useless and numb."

Rory walked over to her sister and wrapped her arms around her, holding her tightly as Frankie cried.

A few days later, Lorelai and Max broke up. Frankie was in her room, lights off and curtains drawn, when Rory came in and told her what had happened. Frankie pushed aside the heavy weight she felt and helped Rory comfort Lorelai. It wasn't easy, but she managed to make it into town to get cookie dough and bad movies for her mother.

Weeks later, Lorelai was feeling more like herself again, but Frankie was feeling worse. When Rory said yes to a double date for Lane, she invited her sister, hoping that it would get her out of the house.

"You should come," Rory said, trying to encourage her sister to step out of her room.

"No," Frankie groaned from under her blankets.

The older twin sighed, sitting down on the edge of the bed. "You know, Tristin keeps asking me about you. He says you guys haven't talked in weeks."

"Okay."

"Why haven't you talked to him?"

Frankie sighed and pushed the blankets off her face. "Because I have nothing to say to him."

"Did something happen?"

"No."

"So, what's the problem?"