Drop Out

The Gilmore girls drove home in silence. Rory was too afraid to speak, Lorelai was too angry, and Frankie was too stunned. When they finally got back to Stars Hollow, Lorelai pulled the Jeep over in front of Doose's Market and parked the car.

She glanced at Rory, about to say something, when she stopped. "What's on your hands?"

"Fingerprints," Rory stated, rubbing at the ink on her fingers.

"Right." She took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "Do you want to go in and eat or take it home?"

"Home."

"Okay."

Frankie stayed silent, not knowing what to say, and not wanting to get involved. She was still shocked that Rory, straight A's and goody-two-shoes Rory, stole a boat.

"We're having a bike race," Lorelai said abruptly, unsure of what else to talk about. "Bike race through town, first one ever. Taylor's really excited. Maybe Sheryl Crow will come."

"Maybe," Rory replied.

"Probably not."

"Hmm."

"I'm running out of small talk, kid. Gotta get around to the main event here soon."

"I know."

"Rory, what happened?"

Just then, Rory's cell phone rang.

"No, don't answer it," Lorelai scolded.

"It's Logan."

"Rory, don't answer it."

"I have to."

"Well, I don't want you talking to him right now."

"Why not?"

"Why not? He just got you arrested."

"He did not," Rory argued.

"Don't protect him."

"It was my idea," she exclaimed.

"Oh, come on."

"Logan was at his sister's engagement party having a perfectly lovely time when I showed up and dragged him off. He spent the night in jail because of me. I have to take this call."

As Rory answered, Lorelai turned around in her seat and gave Frankie a look, asking silently if she believed Rory's story.

Frankie just shrugged, watching her mother unbuckle her seatbelt and get out of the car, then followed her lead.

Taylor chased after the mother and daughter, calling out to Lorelai. Not wanting to deal with the insanity that Taylor brought, Frankie walked ahead while her mother talked to the man, and stepped into Luke's diner.

"Frankie?" he asked, confused. "I didn't know you were in town."

"I wasn't."

"What do you mean?"

"I was gonna stay in New Haven, but unforeseen circumstances brought me here."

"Oh, well –"

Before he could finish, Lorelai walked through the door.

"Rory stole a yacht. How's your night been?"