Something's Wrong

It had been a few weeks since Frankie's birthday, and she wasn't doing well. She would only leave her room to go to school and to get water. She was barely eating, and was drinking every night.

Kayla was the first to notice the change in Frankie's behavior. When she first saw Frankie bring home a bag filled with alcohol, she thought nothing of it. But when she realized that Frankie was the only one who drank from the bottles, that's when she started to worry.

Thinking that it had something to do with Finn, Kayla asked, but Frankie only stated that she was fine. As the weeks progressed, and Frankie continued to bring home copious amounts of alcohol, the worry turned to panic.

"Something's wrong with Frankie," Kayla said quietly, closing her bedroom door behind Penny and Jacqueline. "Have you noticed?"

"She's drinking a lot. Like, a worrying amount," Jacqueline agreed.

"She hasn't been hanging out with us at all, either," said Penny sadly. "Did we do something wrong?"

"No, I don't think it has anything to do with us," Kayla stated, glancing at the door. "I think it has something to do with her birthday, but I don't know what it is."

"Was it the phone call with her sister?" asked Jacqueline. "I've never met Rory, so I don't know how that would've affected her."

"No, I don't think that's it. She was a little bummed, but she bounced right back and we had a great night."

"Something with her mom then?" Penny suggested. "I know they've had issues in the past."

"No, she and Lorelai have been good." Kayla looked into the distance, lost in thought. "What if something happened at one of the parties?"

"The last one? She disappeared," Jacqueline said, recalling how they left after not being able to track Frankie down. "What if we left and something happened to her?"

Penny gasped, covering her mouth with her hand as tears formed in her eyes. "Oh, Frankie."

"Crap," Kayla muttered, eyes wide. "I think you might be right."

"What do we do? We have to help her!" Penny exclaimed quietly, tears sliding down her cheeks.

"We can ask her, but Frankie can be tough. Like cracking a walnut when she doesn't want to talk."

"I should've looked harder for her," Jacqueline mumbled, pacing Kayla's room. "I should've asked everyone. I should've –"

"Hey, no. We don't know what happened. Don't blame yourself." Kayla put a hand on Jacqueline's shoulder, trying to calm her down. "We'll get to the bottom of this. We're her best friends and roommates, alright? We can help her. We'll get Frankie back."

Later that night, Frankie got off the subway after class and was walking down her street, drinking vodka out of a water bottle, when someone suddenly stepped into view. She flinched, scared, but relaxed when her eyes focused and she could make out the figure clearly.

"Jess," she breathed, a small smile on her face.

"Hey, Frankie."

"Hi. What are you doing here?"

"I'm in town on a little business, thought I'd surprise you."

"Consider me surprised."

"Happy birthday, by the way. I know that was a few weeks ago."

Frankie faked a smile in response, not wanting to discuss her birthday. She gazed at him for a moment before shaking herself back to reality. "You look good. Philadelphia seems to suit you."