Awkward Dinners and the Last First Day

Friday night dinner was awkward, to say the least. Lorelai and Emily were not speaking after the disastrous night the previous week when Lorelai told her parents that Sherry was pregnant and that Christopher was going back to her. It was also Frankie's first dinner back with the family after many months of not having to deal with the judgement and ridicule, so she was nervous, which resulted in her not talking at all.

Rory tried to break the ice by asking her mother and grandmother questions to get them to talk to each other, but it didn't work. They both had an attitude, and the tension in the room could be cut with a knife.

The following day, Frankie had to teach until late in the evening, so she couldn't see Jess. That Sunday, however, she went to the diner early so they could spend the whole day together. Her mother and sister went for breakfast, but she didn't go with them. She was still upset with Rory for trying to kiss Jess at the wedding, and with Lorelai for how she had treated her for so long.

"Hey!" she greeted, walking up to the counter where Jess was standing, reading a book.

"Hey," he replied with a grin. He leaned forward, kissing her lips, then called out to Luke. "I'm out!"

Frankie smiled, grabbing Jess' outstretched hand and followed him out the door. The side-eye that Rory tossed their way was noted by the couple, and it infuriated Frankie.

"So, what are we doing today?" Jess asked as they walked through the town, his arm slung around her shoulder.

"Movie?"

"Sounds good." He pulled her in and kissed her as they walked towards the video store, picking out a few movies, then heading over to the Gilmore residence. They had a lazy Sunday, lounging on the couch and eating junk food while watching Alfred Hitchcock films. They hardly noticed when Lorelai and Rory eventually made their way home.

The next day was the first day of senior year. Lorelai and Rory were talking about the speech the eldest twin had to make at Chilton as the newly elected Vice-President when Frankie walked into the kitchen, grabbing coffee. She was too tired to comprehend what was being said, only being brought back to reality by her name being called.

"Frankie!"

"Hm?" She turned around, facing her mother and sister. "What?"

"Are you coming today?" Rory repeated with an eyebrow raised.

"To what?" she asked bluntly.

"For my speech."

"When?"

"Three o'clock," Lorelai answered, a smile on her face. "I can pick you up after school and drive us."

"Can't." With that, she turned on her heel and walked out with a mug in her hand.

Frankie skated over to Luke's, meeting up with Kayla, and the two walked into the diner together.

"Morning, ladies," Luke greeted from behind the counter.

"Morning, Luke," Frankie replied with a grin as Kayla waved.

"Last first day of school. You excited?"

Frankie shrugged as the two girls sat down. "I guess."

"I am," Kayla stated. "I'm so ready to get to NYU."

"What are you gonna do there?" Luke asked, intrigued.

"Environmental studies."