What If Questions

Frankie was walking the streets of New York after her final class before spring break. The air was crisp, the sun was shining, and the breeze nipped at her nose. She felt content and happy. Everything seemed to be falling into place.

She walked into a coffee shop and ordered, grabbing her drink, then headed back outside. The sun was starting to set, painting the sky with beautiful shades of purple, orange, and pink. Deciding to watch the sunset a little longer before heading back to Brooklyn, Frankie walked into Central Park, taking a seat on a bench, and watched the sky.

"Is this seat taken?"

Frankie looked over in the direction of the voice, a small smile breaking out across her features. "No, it's free. How are you, Jess?"

Jess grinned and sat down next to Frankie. "I'm good. Just taking one last walk in the park."

"Oh, wow. So you're moving, huh?"

"Yeah. Philadelphia. Next week."

She smiled sadly and nodded. "I know we don't see each other much, but it was nice knowing that you were here."

"Yeah." He looked down at his hands, fiddling with his fingers. "You know, I think about you a lot."

"You do?"

"I do. I think about what you might be doing, what class you're in, who you're hanging out with. I think about high school, and if we were still in Stars Hollow, what we'd be doing right now."

Frankie chuckled, looking up at the stars that were starting to show in the darkening sky. "We'd probably be pranking Taylor."

Jess grinned, looking over at Frankie. "Probably."

They sat in comfortable silence for a moment, before Frankie turned to look at Jess.

"So, besides Philly, what's next on your great adventure?" she asked with a smile.

Jess shrugged. "I guess I'll just see where the wind takes me."

"Do you know where you're living yet?"

"Nope. But I have my car."

She laughed and shook her head. "Always the spontaneous type."

"You know me," he replied, gazing at Frankie. The last bit of sun hit her frame, giving her silhouette a shimmering glow that he etched into his memory. "I think you'll always know me."

"I hope so," she said, turning to face Jess. "You're someone that I always want to know."

Jess smiled, looking away from the girl and up at the night sky. "Can I take you home?"

Frankie glanced down at her watch, noticing the time. "That would be great, thank you."

The pair stood up and made their way to the subway station, boarding the train to Brooklyn.

"So, you seeing anyone?" Frankie asked curiously as they stood in a subway car.

Jess shook his head. "I've been on a few dates here and there. Just haven't found the right person, I guess."

She nodded and shrugged. "Dating sucks."

He grinned. "Yeah, it does. Are you seeing anyone?"

Frankie paused, debating whether to tell him or not, but decided that being honest was the right choice. "Yeah, I am."

Jess' heart sank slightly at her words, but he shoved the feeling away, plastering a smile on his face. "I'm happy for you."