Fresh Start

Frankie was fast asleep, exhausted from her finals and the information her mother had given her hours before, when her phone rang. With a groan, she fished for the device in the dark, her hand landing on it after three rings.

"Hello?" she said sleepily, annoyed that she had been roused from her slumber.

"Luke and I are engaged."

"What?" she exclaimed, sitting upright and rubbing her eyes. "When?"

"Tonight. Just now."

"Hi, Frankie," Luke said cheerfully into the phone.

"You got engaged tonight?" Frankie asked, climbing out of bed and slipping her feet into her slippers.

"Yes."

"Wow. Congratulations, mom. And Luke. I'm really happy for you." The girl yawned loudly, trying to shake the sleep from her head.

"Did I wake you? I'm sorry, I was just so excited," Lorelai said, looking over her shoulder at Luke with a bright smile.

"It's okay, I'm glad you called to tell me. This is really exciting, mom, I'm really happy for you."

"Thank you. Well, I just wanted to let you know. We're gonna finish our Zima and have sex now."

"Ew, mom! I don't want to hear that!"

Lorelai laughed. "Sorry, sorry. I'm just so happy."

"I'm glad you're happy. But, please, for my own sanity, keep your sex life away from my ears."

"Will do. Love you, Frankie. I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow."

The following day, Lorelai arrived in New York in the afternoon. She parked outside the apartment building, looking up at the structure with a smile.

"Hey, mom!" Frankie called from her window. "I'll be right down!"

"Take your time!"

Frankie rushed down the stairs and opened the front door, allowing Lorelai to enter the building.

"Welcome to my home!" she said with a grin, leading her mother up the stairs to the apartment.

"It's so homey, I love it." Lorelai marveled at the space, taking in every detail. "You girls have done a great job with the space."

"Thank you. Do you want something to drink?"

"I was thinking we could get coffee?"

"Oh, definitely. I was just wondering if you wanted water or something right now."

"Water? What is this 'water' that you speak of?" Lorelai joked, walking up to a bedroom. "Who's room is this?"

"Penny's."

"I haven't met Penny, have I?"

"No, I don't think you have. She isn't home right now, but she and Jacqueline should be back soon," Frankie replied, filling a cup with water and taking a sip.

"Who's Jacqueline?"

"Penny's girlfriend. I met her last year."

"Does Jacqueline live here, too?"

"Yep. Well, she will. Penny's picking her up at Grand Central right now."

"Wow. Four girls in three rooms. Won't that get crowded?"