...New Kid

The following evening, Frankie was running a few minutes late to dinner. She had forgotten about the guests coming over, so she was now sprinting through town like a mad woman. People stared as she raced past, trying desperately to get back home quickly.

Frankie burst through the front door, panting, and collapsed on the ground.

"Oh, my God!" Lorelai yelped as she watched her daughter struggle to become vertical again.

"Am I late?" Frankie managed to get out, her throat growing increasingly dry from the overexertion.

"They're here, but dinner isn't served yet," Lorelai said quietly, pulling Frankie upright. "Go shower. Quickly, please, and get changed." Frankie nodded as she walked towards her room. "Thank you very much, sweetheart!"

Frankie threw a thumbs up over her shoulder. Grabbing clothes and a towel, she slipped into the bathroom to take the quickest shower she could, changed, and threw her hair into a messy bun. Once she was satisfied, and sufficiently out of time, she walked out and saw everyone gathering around the long table that had been set up in the living room.

"I'm so sorry I was late. Hi, Luke." Frankie walked over and gave the man a hug. He stiffened slightly, but relaxed into the embrace. "And Sookie, this all looks amazing, as always," Frankie said with a smile, walking over to her mother's best friend and her giving her a tight squeeze.

"Oh, Frankie, thank you! I've missed you around the inn. Will you please come by and visit soon?"

"Only for you, Sookie. Hi, Jackson!"

"Hi, Frankie. You okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You kind of face planted back there," Rory said with a grin. Jackson nodded in agreement.

"Oh, that. Yeah, I ran all the way here from Ms. Patty's."

"That'll do it," the twin nodded, turning back to her plate.

"Hey, Rory, where's Jess?" asked Luke, concerned about his missing nephew.

"He's getting a soda."

Frankie was so focused on eating the delicious food Sookie made, she didn't hear the fight her mother had with Luke about Jess, and she didn't even notice that Jess and Luke never came back for the rest of the night.

The following morning, the twins stood outside Luke's with their mother, around the corner and out of sight from the front door. Frankie rolled her eyes at her mother while the three of them debated going into the diner. It was Danish day. Lorelai wanted a Danish, but didn't want to interact with Luke.

Frankie groaned as Rory dragged her through the door. "This is so stupid."

"I know, but it's mom. She's stubborn." Rory pushed open the diner door, the little bell alerting everyone to their arrival. "Hey, Luke."

"Rory, Frankie." The diner owner nodded curtly to the two girls.

"Um, we'll have three coffees and three cherry Danishes to go, please," Frankie said shyly, shoving her hands in her pockets.

Luke looked at them, unamused. The twins knew that Luke knew who the third coffee and Danish were for, but nevertheless persisted, only to be shot down in the end.

"Two Danishes, two cups of coffee, one for each of you. Take it or leave it." Luke was not persuaded.

"We'll take it." Frankie rolled her eyes.

"We still think you're being silly," Rory added, watching as Luke made their order.

"Thank you for sharing. Come back soon," Luke said sarcastically, and watched the twins walk out the door.