twenty-six.

TYLER'S POV:

While Ali is at work and Cameron is busy playing with his cars, I call my parents to tell them the news. I know my mom will be ecstatic... I just hope this will finally be enough for my dad's approval. I still haven't even heard from him about the Super Bowl, so I'm only assuming that means he's, once again, disappointed. After just two rings, my mom answers the phone.

"Hi sweetie! How are you? I haven't heard from you in awhile. I was starting to worry..." She says on the other end.

"Hey, mom. I've been good. Just been pretty busy with practice and games. But now that the season is over, I should be able to make more time to come visit." I say as I sit down on the barstool in the kitchen.

"We saw the game... I'm sorry baby. You really played great the entire game. Don't be hard on yourself, okay?" She sighs in a sympathetic tone.

"Yeah, it sucks that we lost, but I feel like we gave it our all. I feel good about our performance overall. We will just have to come back next year and fight harder." I swivel the seat around to watch Cameron playing in the living room.

Mom sighs, "So, other than work, how is everything going? Are you still seeing that girl from Christmas?"

"Everything is going great, mom. Ali is amazing. I really wish you guys could sit down and get to know her. I really do think you would like her..." I say in almost a pleading manner. "She's honestly the best thing that's ever happened to me."

Mom stays silent for a moment. Finally, she says, "Tyler, do you love this girl? Truly love her?"

"I love her with every fiber of my being, mom. I really do..." I say in a low voice so Cameron can't really hear.

She sighs, "Well, if you love this girl and you see a future with her, then we need to think of some sort of plan to get your father on board. I am happy to get to know her, for you. But if she breaks your heart, I will not hesitate to hurt her."

I chuckle at my tiny, non intimidating mother, "You got it, mama. I was thinking maybe we could go out to dinner sometime next week or maybe have dinner here at my place? Ali is a pretty great cook."

"Let me check my calendar real quick... hang on." I hear her walk over to her whiteboard calendar in the kitchen.

"Oh, hey mom. While you're checking your calendar, make sure this Sunday is clear for you and dad." I say as I get up and walk into the living room.

Mom sounds confused, "Wait, what's happening this Sunday? I thought you said dinner next week?"

I chuckle and say, "Dinner next week, for sure. But Sunday you and dad are coming to watch me accept the Defensive Rookie of the Year award."

Mom gasps, "Are you serious?! Tyler, honey, that's amazing! I will clear my calendar, no matter what! Your dad is going to be so happy to hear that!"

I smile and say, "I hope so... anyways, I'll text you the details, but I just wanted to call and tell you myself. Don't forget to let me know what day works best next week for dinner, okay?"

"Okay, sweetie. Sounds great. I love you, Tyler."

"Love you too, mom. Bye." I say as I tap the end call button on my phone.

I'm relieved to hear that my mom is willing to get to know Ali and that she is also on my side about getting dad on board. I'm not sure if he will actually try or not, but at least I know I have my mom's support.

ALI'S POV:

Sunday rolled around quicker than I expected. Tyler got me a new dress for tonight's award ceremony, and Hannah is coming over to babysit Cameron for me. I am so excited to watch Tyler accept this award. He earned this award with so much hard work and dedication this season. He deserves every ounce of credit for not only his incredible athleticism, but also because he is truly one of the best people I have ever met. He is an amazing person, with such a kind and empathetic heart. I don't think he has a single mean bone in his body.