two.

The weekend came and went like autumn in Ohio. Just as you're starting to enjoy it, it's Monday. And usually I wouldn't mind the weekend going by so fast because I would be working double shifts at the diner to avoid Joe, but today is my first day at John's Steakhouse and I am nervous as hell... I really don't know if I will be able to work in a place as nice as that one. Smitty's diner back home was a piece of cake. The menu was small, I could pronounce everything on the menu with ease, and in a town as small as that one everybody knows everybody. John's Steakhouse was the complete opposite of the diner. You have to have a reservation to get into this restaurant. You have to be formally dressed to be a customer there. And most importantly, you have to have money to dine in a place like this.

"Alright, Whit. How do I look?" I asked Whitney as I finished putting on my mascara. "Do I look "first day" ready?"

Whitney came into the bathroom to examine me. "Girl, you're going to get so many tips tonight! Slay, mama, SLAY!" She said while snapping her fingers at me.

I laughed and went to the living room to put my shoes on. As nervous as I was, I was also pretty excited. I've never been inside a place like this before, let alone work in a place like this. I was determined to make the best of this job. The more money I make, the sooner Cameron and I can get off of the pull out couch in Whitney's living room.

I finish tying my shoes and hear a knock at the door. I get up to answer the door, but Cameron beats me to it. He opened the door to find Hannah waiting on the other side. "Hi!"

Hannah smiled at him and said, "Hey Cameron! I'm Hannah! Are you excited to play tonight?"

"Yes! Do you want to play with my cars? I have a track that makes them go really fast! Wanna see? Come on!" Cameron said excitedly as he pulled her through the door and ran over to his track in the living room.

Hannah laughed and smiled at me, "Woah! I take it he loves cars?"

I chuckled and said, "Most definitely. It's always been his favorite toys to play with." I reached my hand out to shake Hannah's. "I'm Alice, by the way, but everyone calls me Ali."

Hannah took my hand and shook it gently, "It's so nice to meet you! Are you excited for your first day of work?"

"I'm a huge ball of emotions right now. I'm excited, anxious, nervous, and just ready to dive in and no longer be the new girl. That's definitely the worst part right now. Not knowing anybody here, or having regular customers like I had at the diner back home."

"You're going to do great! You're beautiful. You will definitely be a favorite to the regulars there in no time. And Cam and I are going to have a great time, right buddy?"

"Yeah! We're going to eat so much candy and popsicles and play all night!" Cameron shouted as he smashed his cars into each other. "Crash!"

I looked down at my son and cleared my throat. "Excuse me, sir. You can have a piece of candy or a popsicle after you finish your dinner. And your bedtime is still 8:30, mister."

Cam looked up at me with disappointment, "Ugh, okay mama. Okay. But can we read two books tonight instead of just one? Pretty please!"

I smiled at him, "Yes, baby. You can read two books tonight. But I want the TV off no later than 8:00, okay?" I glanced between him and Hannah to make sure that they both understood me.

Hannah grinned at me and said, "You have nothing to worry about, mama. I have your list of reminders and I will abide by everything on it. I promise. And if we need anything, we will call you!" She holds her hand up and says, "Scout's honor."

I smiled softly at her. "Thank you so much. Seriously, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you watching him for me."

Hannah winked at me and said, "It is my pleasure. Now go make some money!"