three.

It's been three weeks now since I started working at John's Steakhouse. Tonight is my first night serving completely alone. Whitney has been so helpful, I'm feeling pretty good about being on my own finally. She has dedicated a lot of time to helping me study the menu, learn the history of the restaurant, and get to know all of the other servers, chefs, and bartenders. Or in her Whitney's case, just one particular bartender named Blake. I am determined to make some good money tonight so I can make this the best Christmas yet for Cameron. He's been asking for more cars, a very obvious choice for him. And he could use more clothes now that I don't have Joe yelling in my ear about spending money.

Not only do I want to make sure Cam has an incredible Christmas, but I really want to get something nice for Whitney to thank her for all of her support and generosity. She has been so amazing and such a huge help since day one. I cannot imagine being a single, childless woman in her early 20's, having the freedom to bring guys home with her whenever she pleases, staying out late and coming home in the early hours of the morning and then choosing to give all of that up to take in a battered woman and her child. And to allow us to live here, rent free, until we can get back on our feet. She is truly a saint and I could not be more grateful for her generosity. The least I can do is get her a gift card to her favorite massage place or something.

I'm sitting on the couch making a list of Christmas gift ideas and trying to price check everything on my phone when Whitney comes and sits down next to me, "Ali cat! I have some great news!"

"What's up, Whit?"

"So you know Blake, the bartender?"

"You mean Blake the bartender that you've been sneaking out to go see in the middle of the night for the past 2 weeks?" I say, laughing at the fact that she thought I didn't know what she has been up to lately.

She looks so shocked. She raises her eyebrows, "Wait, how do you know that? Are you following me now?"

"Whitney, my son and I sleep on your pull out couch, right next to the front door. I hear you coming and going most times, and I see you flirting with him every single time we're at work. I just assumed you guys were dating and didn't want to bring him home with us living on your couch. Why didn't you just tell me you guys were together?"

"It's just so new, I didn't want to get my hopes up. We've only been together for like, a month now. And honestly, you know me. I believe in jinxing everything if you say it out loud so I didn't want to speak a relationship into existence just yet." She explains.

"I get it, girl. Well, what's the news?!"

Whitney closes her eyes, takes a deep breath and says, "He's taking me on a weekend getaway!"

"Oh my god! When? That's awesome! Where is he taking you?" I ask anxiously.

"We leave tomorrow and I'll be home Sunday at some point. It's some place in Indiana, which doesn't sound exciting, I know. But wait until you see the pictures of this place!" She says as she pulls up the Safari app on her phone. "Look at this place! There's a swimming pool in our hotel room! And a jacuzzi bathtub!"

"Holy shit!" I say as I scroll through the pictures on her phone. "This place looks amazing! You know tomorrow is supposed to snow, right? I really hope it doesn't interfere with your weekend..."

"I know, right?! It's like, sexy fantasy room. I'm going to be jumping his bones all weekend. I've gotta go pack! A little snow isn't stopping me!"

I laugh and shake my head as she dances her way down the hallway into her room. I look down on the floor and see Cam doing one of his puzzles. "Hey bug, what do you want mama to make you for lunch?"