New World

"Aah..."
He woke up feeling like crap.

"Where.. am I?"

Shido slowly opened his eyes, greeted by a familiar ceiling. The bed he was lying down on was equally familiar. With light blue bedsheets and a pillow of the same colour, the bed in his own room seemed to be the same as always. Shido sat up and scratched his head. What had happened? Why did he feel so terrible for some reason?

Suddenly, the memories of the past events - or rather, the future events - came flooding back into him with the force of a truck barrelling into his skull. He remembered Kurumi dying, skewered by a pale white hand, Yoshino perishing on the branch of Ain Soph, Tohka vanishing behind an intense light and the similar fate of all the other Spirits.

"Mio!"

Shido suddenly bolted upright, looking around him to make sure that the silver-haired Spirit of Origin wasn't there. After confirming her absence, Shido let out a sigh of relief. It seemed that it had worked. He didn't know exactly how far back he'd gone, but that was fine. All that mattered was that he had gained a lot more time.

Suddenly, he sensed a different threat approaching rapidly from beyond the door.

"BIIIIG BROTHERRRR!"

It was quickly flung open, hitting the wall behind it with a bang, and a red whirlwind flew out, crashing directly into Shido, who was only shakily supported by his arms on the bed. Shido ended up falling backwards onto the soft mattress, along with his red-haired assailant.

"W-Wait Kotori? Why are you so excited?!"
"The entrance ceremony is today!" 
"The what?"

An entrance ceremony? What was she talking about? He hadn't heard of any entrance ceremony that should be happening today... although he didn't know when today was in the first place.

"Don't tell me you forgot! It's the start of the school year, remember?"

Oh.

That would explain it. Shido realized that Mem had maybe sent him back quite a bit farther than expected.

"Kotori, what's the date today?" 

"Huh? It's the tenth of April, obviously?"

"Ah...."

The tenth of April. That was the day everything had begun. It was the day he had first met Tohka and gotten involved with Ratatoskr. The day he first got dragged into the problems of the Spirits.

Shido suddenly felt emotional and leaned forward, hugging Kotori tightly

"You're safe!"

He had failed once, but he wouldn't fail again. He'd make the most out of the redo he was granted. A few tears formed in his eyes, but he held them in.

Kotori, ignorant of his thoughts, was more focused on the hug. Her face had reddened slightly.

"B-big brother, are you still half asleep?"

A moment passed before Shido realized what he was doing and quickly pulled away.

"Sorry, I was just a little happy."

"If you say so..."

Kotori was still acting a little strange, but Shido decided to ignore it and eat breakfast.

He quickly got dressed and made his way downstairs. While cooking a simple breakfast, Kotori started watching the news on the TV, something that was unusual for a girl her age.

The reporter on screen was talking about the appearance of another spacequake near the city.

I wonder which Spirit was in that spacequake?