Ch57: A Daughter's Song (1)

Eugen's POV:

As August continues waving the baton around, the rest of us can only stand back and watch, fearing that if we get too close we'll be caught in the crossfire. She's a force of nature not that she's let loose and despite us being some distance away from the enemy, they are no match and yet they just keep coming.

Enterprise has avoided being hit so far but she's not been able to launch any more planes as August's aircraft mow down everything she sets airborne. Surprisingly, however, she doesn't attack her directly and instead targets everyone but Enterprise. 

Bismark: Keep watch and ensure no one sneaks up on us! Look out for submarines, especially!

As if in reply to Bismark's statement, August begins rising out of the water. Beneath her, a deck begins to form. As it does, we too find ourselves suddenly standing on solid ground and before long it becomes clear that we're on her carrier's deck and goodness is it massive. Dwarfing every other thing we've ever seen by a mile, it quickly becomes clear why even her guns sink anything they come across with a single shelling. 

Turrets towering above us like the Eiffel tower to a pigeon...okay, perhaps that's an exaggeration but still. Her towers make Bismark's look like a child's toy. Her deck itself is far larger than many of the airstrips we have on the mainland and as aircraft take off and land without interfering with each other it becomes clear that it was made to operate as a mobile naval base rather than as a ship. Still, most terrifying of all is her speed. As the ship lurches forward, I can't help but wonder what possessed her creators when they made her. I love her but still...Thank heavens she's on our side.

Bismark: What's the plan?

Me: I don't think she can hear anything right now.

Bismark: In that case, all we can really do is protect her, huh?

Me: Yes but I do wish we had more support. Our force is still relatively small.

The second the words leave my mouth, portals open on the deck. Each has a different backdrop within but it doesn't take long to see why they have appeared as the other girls begin stepping through one after the other. 

Roon: What's going on?

Rossiya: Is that...oh dear.

As they file in, we take the opportunity to fill everyone in on what's going on but I've barely reached partway through the story when a scream rips through the air.

FDG: YES!

Friedrich, her usual overdramatic self, blurs past our group and to the side of August who doesn't seem to recognise that she's there indicating that she also can't see what's going on around her currently. Either that or she's very good at ignoring people. 

FDG: That's it, darling, let the world hear your song!

Red wraps around August as she continued rising upwards. Seemingly at the same time, a beam of gold blasts towards the sky from the midst of Eagle Union formation. With the two massive light sources, it becomes clear as day that the entirety of Eagle Union's force must be here. I'm not sure what their plan was but it is clear they are hell-bent on stopping us here and now. This should be a problem for us but between August who seems hellbent on defeating them all on her own and the fact that we now also have all our own girls plus those of the Northern Parliament here with us, I'd say the odds are in our favour.

<->

August's eyes are closed. They have been for a while now. She's also not come back down but neither has Enterprise who's ascended to the same altitude engulfed in golden light. The two are facing off over at least 18nm and yet neither has attacked the other as yet. It is as though they are waiting on something.

August: Tell me, does the name Zhejiang ring a bell?

I'm surprised to hear August speak and when Enterprise doesn't respond, I fear that they'll begin going at it but she does nothing but laughs. 

August: My bad. If you did then...well, it doesn't matter now.

August's carrier vanishes from beneath our feet and the minute it does, she blasts off towards Enterprise who immediately responds by blasting off towards her. When they meet in the middle, it's as though two gods are battling as they set off an explosion that rocks the very world. All the clouds that had been previously gathered overhead vanish as though banished into another realm and the water beneath their point of contact gets pushed away as though some unforeseen orb has touched down and is pushing the water away.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

When the sound finally reaches us, we all get blown back a couple of miles despite attempting to brace against the incoming impact. We are pushed further away once the wave catches up and by the time we've made it back to within visual range of the two demons within the sky, there's little to mark the area. Nothing but clear blue skies and calm blue seas for miles on end. The Eagle Union fleet is nowhere in sight. 

Overhead, planes battle as gunfire blends with the sound of metal clashing against metal. A teeth-grinding, earsplitting screech follows soon after, itself replaced by yet more gunfire. 

BOOOOOOM 

Jets of water rise around us showing that the opposing fleet is back. Our force spreads out and readies to open fire in response. 

Rossiya: Blow them away!

U-557: Shouldn't we wait on-

Rossiya: This is no time to ponder the meaning of life. Just show us your strength!