19 || Limits and Laughter

10:50 P.M. || Mustafu, Japan || U.A. High School - U.A. Sports Festival Stadium Hallways

Silence. Awkward silence. The worst kind of silence.

Y/N was walking right next to him. And Shinsou had no idea what to say. Her face had gone back to her normal emotionless face. He was still processing it all. He lost, but he barely even felt bad. More like, shocked. 

This girl had just turned his whole world upside down.

She denied his doubts and insecurities. She corrected him and refused to let him think that he was right. She wouldn't stop saying those words. 

"You are incorrect."

But those weren't even the most effective words. The last ones. The ones barely anyone has ever told him before.

"You'd be a wonderful hero, Shinsou, sir."

He blushed, remembering her face. The extraordinary happened out there. Something he's never seen her do before. He didn't even think she knew how to. 

She smiled.

Honestly, it wasn't even that big. It was small and closed-lipped. It was a smile anyone would give when greeting someone. It wasn't that serious or extravagant.

But this was special.

He glanced back at Y/N who was looking ahead with her usual dull face. This was pretty awkward. He had to say something.

"Thanks." He held in the urge to facepalm. That was it?

"Sir?"

"Thanks. For all the stuff you said back there."

"I do not understand what you mean." She told him, blinking lightly at him. His cheeks tinted pink. She's not going to make him repeat it, is she?

"Y'know--telling me I could be good hero." He said, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Incorrect." He looked at her. "I said you would be a wonderful hero." She empathized. The pink on his face brightened. That was really touching coming from her. She's never complimented him before. "It was my pleasure, Shinsou, sir."

Silence. Again. Awkward silence.

"Shinsou, sir?"

"Uh huh?"

"Permission to ask a question?"

"Sure."

"Why... Why didn't you just send me off the arena by brainwashing me?"

"...I don't know. You said earlier that you didn't like it when I did so..." He answered, earning him a curious look at him. He quickly averted her eyes. "Why didn't you bring your giant battle ax? It could've been over much sooner." He asked, referring to Witchcraft.

"Witchcraft might've cut your insides open." She answered bluntly, making him sweatdrop. "I would not appreciate it if I had injured you seriously." 

He blushed. Though she said it in different way, she didn't want to hurt him.

"In addition, I wondered what was wrong with you."

"Huh?"

"I am told that I cannot understand human emotions." She told him, looking to the ground as if she was sad. "I apologize if I fail to completely understand and said something to offend you. But there was something strange about you; I assume it's an emotion I cannot understand."

He felt bad for her. She's constantly confused. That explains that emotionless face she has.

"Limitations are just another thing I do not understand. Others put limits on those who are not themselves. But I fail to understand."

"Fail to understand what?"

She looked at him; her emotionless face were betrayed by her confused eyes.

"How do they know the limit of something is reached?"

Shinsou's eyes widened. That was a really good question. They don't. No one can't tell. The negative thoughts in his mind washed away as he thought about his limits. Has he really reached them yet? Probably not.

"...I-uhm... I don't know."

"Hmm." She hummed.

Silence. Again. Awkward silence.

"Shinsou, sir?"

"Yeah?" He looked at her. His eyes widened.

She pulled on her cheeks and pulled them out to make a straight line with her lips

She pulled on her cheeks and pulled them out to make a straight line with her lips. She pushed up her face to form a forced smile.

"Emotionless."

He blinked for a second; lost, confused, and a tad bit worried. He looked down.

"Pfft-" 

A small giggle turned into a chuckle. And then into full on laughter. He was laughing at her. The girl let go of her face and looked at him, who was laughing.

It was adorable to him. Y/N--the girl with the emotionless face--was trying to smile. It was so cute of her to try. And her attempts just made him smile. She may not know how to work her emotiones, but she sure knows how to ignite his. 

"Come on, Y/N, I'll buy some pocky."

"Yes, sir."

Honestly, she is such a special girl.