Chapter Fifty Two

"Couldn't you have, i don't know, texted me ?" I said to Alan, pulling my phone out of my pocket. "But no, it was funnier to scared the shit out of me."

"Well excuse me, i didn't think they would bring you here. And using your phone in front of a superior is considered rude." He said, eyeing me to the side.

"And it's rude to barged in front of somebody's house if they do not answer the door, but here we are." I responded to him. I knew i was being kind of irrational, because nothing happened. But it's not because nothing happened that i would act like i had a fun moment. I sighed and unlocked my phone. After seeing a bunch of messages from the new group chat with Jake and Jessy, i decided to not read them all now because it seemed that it was mainly Jake answering Jessy's questions about what was happening. I simply opened Jake and mine's chat.

>Me
I'm on my way back with Alan.

>Jake
Yes, i heard :)

Oh, right, he can still hear me, i had forgotten that little details for a second.

>Me
I... didn't say anything i shouldn't right ? I was a bit angry back there.

>Jake
You didn't, do not worry. I have to admit that i felt a bit touch by what you said to him.

>Me
I did what i thought i should do. They won't see you until you want to and we know that they don't have anything on you.

"Are you texting him ?"

I looked up to see Alan looking at me. He was at a red light.

"Yeah, who else ? He's in his right to know that we talked about him." Bold of you to assume he's not aware of it yet.

"I'm not saying he can't be made aware. I'm surprised he's not looking for you."

"He knows i was going there. I was on a video call with him when this guy showed up. I told him not to come." I said, hearing directly a notification.

>Jake
I only listened to you because you said so and i trust you. If you hadn't told me not to come, i would have come there.

"He trust me, so he knew i would be able to handle the situation apparently." I couldn't mention to Alan that my phone was being used so Jake could hear what happened. "Do you think he was being legit ?" I asked.

"I think so. You didn't see him when he looked at the files. He looked pissed and disgusted." He said, tightening his grip on his steering wheel.

"Good."

"Should i bring you to your friend's apartment ? I gathered that's where you're staying ?"

"Yeah, i'm staying with Jessy. Jessica Hawkins."

"The red head, right ?"

I nodded my head and focused my attention back on my phone.

>Jake
I'll come by tonight if it's alright with Jessy ?

>Me
I can ask, she probably won't mind though. Will it be safe ?

>Jake
Yes, i'll be careful to not stumble on anyone. I'll come once it gets dark.

>Me
Alright. I'll see you tonight then.

>Jake
Will you be okay if i cut the connection to your microphone ?

>Me
Yep. I can handle Alan, don't worry ;)

>Jake
Try to not annoy him to much :)

>Me
You're no fun :(

>Jake
:)

>Jake
Text me when you're back so i can be sure you're alright.

>Me
Of course.

"Why the long face ?"

"Jake forbade me from annoying you." I said, putting my phone back in my pocket and letting my arm rest on the car's door, looking at the window.

"Thank god he's an intelligent one." He said, smirking.

"Hey ! That's mean. I can't help it, you're too fun to annoy."

"Maybe you should try to remember that i am a police chief."

"Most of the time you're just hanging out with me. You're literally going to take a part of the government to the ground behind everyone's back at the station. Not really that professional to backstab people."

He laughed a bit and shook his head. "I don't consider it a backstabbing if i'm the chief or the station. I can choose what to do without asking anyone."

"If you say so. By the way, won't they think it's weird for you to be gone that long ?"

"No." He took a turn and i could kind of recognize the road i took to go to the government. "My subordinates are not aware of what i do most of the time. They don't need to know."

"Wow, i'm glad i'm not working for you. Jake and me, we work together. Well, most of the time anyway."

"You two seem to be close." I could see that he was looking at me from his side. Didn't he understood that we were together ?

"What ? Are you trying to be my father ? I don't need one. Thank-fucking-you." I said, stopping to look outside again. I must have been cold with him because after that, he stopped talking too.

I didn't considered him like a father figure and he most likely didn't consider me his daughter. Like i said, i didn't need a father. I had one who choose to not care about me. I don't need more of that.

I sighed.

"Okay, i'm sorry, i shouldn't have talked like that." I finally said, still without looking at him.

"It's alright, i don't care."

"No, i wasn't being fair. You're helping us, i shouldn't act like a kid."

"Judith, i don't care. I'm not taking anything to heart."

I turned a bit to look at him. He was eyeing me but didn't seem to be angry.

"Alright, i guess." Even after that, i stayed silent. The way back was only animated by the radio that Alan had turned on a bit after i stopped talking. And even if i was the one to put a stopped to the conversation, i much more preferred driving with him than with the other guy.

The rest of the road had passed like this. The only time i talked was when he asked me the address of Jessy's. And after some time, we eventually arrived at Jessy's apartment. Alan stopped his car in front of the building.

"Well, this is it." He said, turning to me.

"Yeah, thanks for the ride. You were much more bearable than the other guy."

"Glad to hear this. I'm not as stuck up as them. I believe you understood that." He said, smirking.

"Don't take the big head Chief Bloomgate. But thanks. Y'know, for being on our side and helping." I answered, pushing my hair on one side, smiling a bit.

"You're welcome Judith. Take care, we'll see each other soon i believe."

"Yeah, see you soon." I got out of the car and waved one last time at him when he left with his car.

Sighing, i pressed my hand to my eyes. That had been... more tiring then i thought. I slowly walked to the door, feeling more tired then ever. Maybe i should take a nap. Or eat something. I feel a bit lightheaded, that can't be good.