Chapter Eleven

The road back home had been filled with conversation about Hannah. Jessy and Cleo had in mind to make it seems like i knew her for years with all the stories they told me. It was fun at the time. I felt like i really knew her a bit more then.

Once we were at Jessy's, i told her that she could go inside with Cleo. She seemed to know why and didn't argue against it. If needs be, i would explain it to her after. And she knew i could handle Alan alone. I already did that more than once.

Now that i think about it, it's kind of ironic. Jake and i didn't want me to talk to him. For multiple reasons. And now, it looked like i spoke with him these past few days more than i should have done.

Sighing, i pulled my phone to my ear after clicking Alan's number in a few touches. I was nearly sat on my motorcycle, still making sure i wouldn't pushed it on the ground. After some time, he finally accepted my call.

"You have news." I didn't let him say anything and never greeted him. But he should know better now.

"I have news." And i liked that he didn't fight what i was saying or that he didn't denied it.

"What did you found ? And Alan, i swear to god, i want the truth. Or you can say goodbye to all the details i have." I knew he would be tempt by what i was saying. Because even if i wouldn't risked to talk about Jake and I's work, i still could offer him details that i could have possibly found by myself.

"That's actually blackmail. I could arrest you for that Judith." He didn't seem serious but i didn't have time to joke.

"But you won't. You wouldn't gain anything in the end. Far from it actually. So ? " I was growing impatient and he knew it. The waiting was killing me slowly.

"I wanted to talk about it in person instead of calling but i suppose you would prefer knowing now then later ?"

"Exactly. Now, spill the info. Please." I tried to stay polite, even if i wanted to be far from that.

"Don't expect too much, i still don't know all the details myself."

"Alright. I'm listening." My grip on my phone tighten as i waited for him to start talking again.

"The mines are in ruins. The fire caught further down that what we expected. The fact that the tracks were still there and that it was partially wood, didn't help stopping the fire to propagated either."

Not good. My thumb that i was biting was starting to hurt and he didn't even say that much.

"And ?"

"Well, the men i sent to do the search party were able to go further down than what i had expected too. They actually found remaining of the papers that were in one of the room. The papers you were talking about, who were inside of Michael Hanson's house at that time."

I was actually surprised by that. If there was remaining of that, the fire-fighters had to had work faster than i thought. The fire had to be stopped before i thought it would. After all, when i arrived, there had been more smoke than fire. Now, who knows when the fire had started.

"Judith. We found a body."

I suddenly chocked down a sob, putting my hand on my mouth. I knew this would happen. I knew.

"W-were you able to identify it ?"

"We did."

Fuck ! Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck !

I knew i couldn't lie any longer. And i had two names in mind. I could only use one.

Holding my breath, i spoke with as much strength as i could. "Was it... Was it Richy ? R-Richy Rogers."